It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do "Liars Clubs" exist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
First some background:

While looking into the Mystery Airship Flap of 1896-1897
i came across the phrase "Liars Club" in in one of the eyewitness reports.

From wikipedia:

An account by Alexander Hamilton of Leroy, Kansas supposedly occurred about April 19, 1897, and was published in the Yates Center Farmer’s Advocate of April 23. Hamilton, his son, and a tenant witnessed an airship hovering over his cattle pen. Upon closer examination, the witnesses realized that a red “cable” from the airship had lassoed a heifer, but had also become entangled in the pen’s fence. After trying unsuccessfully to free the heifer, Hamilton cut loose a portion of the fence, then "stood in amazement to see the ship, cow and all rise slowly and sail off." Some have suggested this was the earliest report of cattle mutilation (In 1982, however, UFO researcher Jerome Clark debunked this story, and confirmed via interviews and Hamilton's own affidavit that the story was a successful attempt to win a Liar's Club competition to create the most outlandish tall tale).

This is the only time I have ever heard of such a club. My question is, do you think they still exist? Are there clubs out there hoaxing events as part of a competition that we don't know of? Are you aware of anything like this?

Maybe this could explain one of the reason we see so many hoaxes on this board, and hoaxes in general?

I would love to hear your opinions on the idea.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
They sure do exist. Here is the local Burlington liars club for my county, which does a write up on the best lie for the year in the local paper. I don't think they are creating hoaxes, they just like to tell "tall tales" and there is a difference. The tales are very tongue in cheek.

I guess it appeals more to people who have lots of time to spin an outlandish yarn and make others laugh at it. I imagine it goes back to the days before television and the like when people just sat aound telling made up stories and some probably became very good at it.

[edit on 5/7/2008 by shockedonlooker]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Yes it does exist. It is called Congress!

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Yes it does exist. It is called Congress!

Well there ya go! Hit that one right on the head Equinox!

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by shockedonlooker

thanks for the link ill check it out

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
No actually Liars Clubs do not exist!

The concept was created by a loner named Rufus Labrageo in 1809.
Rufus was a loner from Austria who wished that there were something more interesting to do with his time. So he gatherd a group of locals together but they could not find anything interesting to talk about.

Rufus made up some very obvious lies about the interesting things the group did when someone stopped coming. He did this in an effort to keep people coming back to his club. And that is how the myth of the liars club began!

I hope that helped.

new topics

top topics

join