It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green and Blue Flashes at Paranal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
These are amazing photos of what is called "Green and Blue flashes at sunset otherwise known as Gegenshein [german for counter shine] I thought I would share these images with my friends on ATS with permission of course from Mr. Stephane Guisard staff member from ESO [European Organisation for Astronomical Reaserch]

Thank you Stephane
Angelc01
www.eso.org...
Stéphane Guisard (ESO)
The Earth's atmosphere is a gigantic prism that disperses sunlight. In the most ideal atmospheric conditions, such as those found regularly above Cerro Paranal, this will lead to the appearance of so-called green flash at sunset. ESO staff Stéphane Guisard has been chasing green flashes for many years and has been able to capture them on many occasions.

[img][img]
/img][/img]

[img][img]
/img][/img]

[img][img]
/img][/img]

[img][img]
/img][/img]

[img][img]
/img][/img]

These are only a few images of the many taken by Mr. Guisard
who has most graciuosly given me permission to post them.
Angelc01

The green and blue flashes are fleeting events that require an unobstructed view of the setting Sun, and a very stable atmosphere. These conditions are very often met at Paranal, a 2635m high mountain in the Chilean Atacama Desert, where the sky is cloudless more than 300 days a year. Paranal is home of ESO's Very Large Telescope, an ensemble of four 8.2-m telescopes and four 1.8-m Auxiliary Telescopes that together form the world's most advanced optical telescope.

[img][img]
/img][/img]

[img][img]
/img][/img]

[img][img]
/img][/img]

[img][img]
/img][/img] This is a laser used by ESO to find or pinpoint certain areas to be studied and investigated.

[img][img]
/img][/img] This is a Paranal sunset from cerro Armazones [mount Armazones]

I hope you all enjoy this as much as I have.
angelc01

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I love this phenomenen. I have never been able to observe it unfortunantly because it is so rare. Its probably best observed over the ocean so will have to get down to the beach at sunset sometime this dry season, too cloudy in the summer here in the tropics

Thanks for posting

Here's another link about the green flash

www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Thanks Ozweatherman for your reply and link --- those over the ocean images are just as great as the Paranal pics, especially with those green flashes which are really rare.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by angelc01

Thanks for sharing these amazing images:
what a wonderful spectacle Mother Nature can provide

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Nice photo remix and blending Internos and you are right mother nature is truly the ultimate beauty on this planet. There is this and so much more if we all look a little closer and observe with open minds.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Hiyah Angelc!

I never have seen these green and blue flashes, so, awesome thread and gorgeous pictures
Give our thanks to Stéphane Guisard for letting us view the photos!

I loved the picture of the observatory with the laser beam and all of those gorgeous stars in the background, simply amazing....the last one with the sunset was absolutely gorgeous, thanks for starting this thread Angelc!

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Thanks LateApexer for viewing and enjoying

I sent an email to Mr. Guisard thanking him for these images and I also invited him over to converse with us on ATS if he had the time and post some comments on his work with ESO if possible.
So lets see what happens.
anglec01

new topics

top topics

join