It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your inner belief about God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I know everyone has an idea about the lord based on what types of learning aids and media have been pushed our way... But deep down inside everyone has a gut instinct... They have an inner belief, a feeling if you will... For example, I am faithful to the lord... I accept his existence unconditionally without question... My inner belief tells me this... My gut instinct...

I was wondering what everyone else's gut instincts are telling them about the lord or maybe yours is telling you nothing at all... ?

Please think about this and really dig into your inner self for the answer... There is no need to post any scripture or quote any because this is about your own inner belief... So set aside all the programmed beliefs and dig deep... Please respect others opinions/beliefs for we are all entitled to express our inner beliefs on this thread... Please do not attack anyone or attempt to prove them wrong, just share your belief and if you want to talk about that then that's fine... Don't try to push any opinions/beliefs on someone else... Just share and discuss is all I ask...

Can't wait to hear some of your responses... !!!

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

though i try not to rely on "gut instincts" and prefer to rely on reason, my "gut instinct" or that which just makes more sense to me, is that we live in a universe entirely devoid of deities.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Interesting thread. I'll try to keep to the remit.

I once thought of God as some vast unknowable force that was maybe out there somewhere. If he was there was no way of knowing him.

I remember going to a funeral as a child and feeling I was in an alien environment full of some meaning I couldn't grasp. The impressive building and the ornamentation were actually a bit intimidating, and the vestments of the clergy (Anglican) looked pretty bizarre.

As I grew up God didn't feature in my thinking. The issue just didn't seem relevant to everyday life.

I do remember lying through my teeth to my mother on more than one occasion, swearing I was telling the truth. I couldn't understand why it caused terrible internal turmoil, but it sometimes got me out of trouble, so I did it anyway.

It was only when I started reading the Gospels that I began to wonder whether God was real. I didn't like it - I was dishonest, violent and used a constant stream of filthy language (when my parents weren't around). But the more I read, the more I felt pushed into a corner.

It took about three years of studying the Scriptures before I was so convinced I decided to follow Christ for the rest of my life, come what may. Trusting God's promise of forgiveness through the Cross brought me peace in my conscience like I never knew was possible.

I'd like to say something about reliance on reason. It can only take you so far. People who saw Christ heal paralysis, blindness from birth, deafness, etc. with a word could never have figured out what they had just seen in terms of reason. It happened; they were totally dumbfounded. Even his enemies couldn't deny it. His most wicked enemies even tried to ascribe his power to evil forces.

An affront to reason? Maybe. But deep down I have come to this conviction: just because I can't understand something doesn't mean it isn't true.

And anyway, if there is a Being who designed and made our universe, miracles are peanuts. If he chose at some points in history to speak to certain people and even to come in person as a Man, the content of his messages and the deeds he performed would likely be mind-blowing. Hey, he'd probably even be able to concquer death...

It's reasonable after all!

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I believe there is a god only not as we expect him to be. We seem to think of god as a male but I don’t think so. I don’t even think he has a name but if he did it is one he gave to himself. Only the created have names. “I am that I am”….no name. God has always been here. No other before him.
All my life I’ve know he was here, now more than ever. Too many things happen at just the right moment not to realize he is communicating with me. Sometimes so softly I’m not sure if it happened. Other times so obvious it’s scary. God shows us he is here in his own way.

I don’t follow any religion now I think they are all corrupted. I believe in and follow to the best of my abilities the kind of life I think god wanted for us.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Never in my life have I had the evidence that there is an all-powerful deity out there, somewhere.
I have sometimes been asked whether I believe in God.
I may have said yes, without much conviction. Now I would have a more elaborate answer.
When I said yes, what I meant was: "I believe that perfection exists in the world. There must be a creative reason for events wich we conceive as tragic, etc. Love exists, good things exist, and spirit must exist too"
It was maybe an inner belief or conviction.
Howewer, never in my life, before or after that, did I get the feeling that there existed an all-powerful being.
Likewise, when others say that they believe in God, they may mean any things.
Maybe there is a presence or an energy inside them wich guides them and gives them answers.
Maybe they look at nature, all the plants, animals and stars and the totality of Creation, and think: this is so incredible and perfect, God must be here.
Feelings of love, awe and reverence are often credited to God. Essentially, I am not opposed to that usage of the term. What I have found out, however, is that the origin of the word is not associated with that kind of meaning. The original meaning is "He who has the power". "He" may be whatever humans at the time regarded as powerful. Different parts of life and nature were adressed through different gods. In other contexts, very powerful human beings passed themselves as the creators of the world in order to rule and enslave the populations. The god mentioned in the old writings wich support our contemporary religions was just an human being.
That's why I prefer to use words like Creation, life, universe, etc., instead of God, wich is a term filled with associations with those tyranical gods of ancient times.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
First of all I would like to thank you for creating an open space.

I was wondering what everyone else's gut instincts are telling them about the lord or maybe yours is telling you nothing at all... ?

My gut instinct tells me that God is everything. It also tells me that God is everyone. It tells me that God is so vast that she is spread throughout the comsciousness of all beings. It tells me that he is dynamic and placing static manmade rules upon God is a limitation.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by eye open doors

You are welcome and I would like to thank everyone for following the guidelines... You guys and gals are great you know that!

banana time (MC Hammer music)

[edit on 9-5-2008 by ElectricUncleSam]

top topics

join