It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is bottled water safe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I am curious as was wondering if its safe to drink, I know Nestle PureLife is actually at source in my city but whats to determine a well safe brand of water we all know packages with the 7 in the recycle logos aren't safe because the government is warning about them, companies are assuring that they don't use that sort of plastic etc.

But fluoride I found that Dasani is safe as it doesn't contain any but ... I need some help or opinions on this.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
FAQS from the NRDC about bottled water:

1. Isn't bottled water safer than tap water?

No, not necessarily. NRDC conducted a four-year review of the bottled water industry and the safety standards that govern it, including a comparison of national bottled water rules with national tap water rules, and independent testing of over 1,000 bottles of water. Our conclusion is that there is no assurance that just because water comes out of a bottle it is any cleaner or safer than water from the tap. And in fact, an estimated 25 percent or more of bottled water is really just tap water in a bottle -- sometimes further treated, sometimes not.

2. Is bottled water actually unsafe?

Most bottled water appears to be safe. Of the bottles we tested, the majority proved to be high quality and relatively free of contaminants. The quality of some brands was spotty, however, and such products may pose a health risk, primarily for people with weakened immune systems (such as the frail elderly, some infants, transplant and cancer patients, or people with HIV/AIDS). About 22 percent of the brands we tested contained, in at least one sample, chemical contaminants at levels above strict state health limits. If consumed over a long period of time, some of these contaminants could cause cancer or other health problems.

3. Could the plastic in water bottles pose a health risk?

Recent research suggests that there could be cause for concern, and that the issue should be studied closely. Studies have shown that chemicals called phthalates, which are known to disrupt testosterone and other hormones, can leach into bottled water over time. One study found that water that had been stored for 10 weeks in plastic and in glass bottles contained phthalates, suggesting that the chemicals could be coming from the plastic cap or liner. Although there are regulatory standards limiting phthalates in tap water, there are no legal limits for phthalates in bottled water -- the bottled water industry waged a successful campaign opposing the FDA proposal to set a legal limit for these chemicals.

for more information visit www.nrdc.org...

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
You should also go out to this site.

www.waterwarning.com...

This site gives you a pretty good idea about what's in your tap water, but also gives info on bottled water. Bottled water is regulated by the FDA if that is any indication of how safe it is. This is the same FDA that allowed aspartame to be cleared for consumption.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
How do they sterilize the water in bottled water? Along with the bottle or before they put the water into the plastic.

I often drink Nestle Pure Life, it's my favorite brand. Is there something that I need to know about that particular brand.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Not sure about Nestle's bottled water. There are a few that are decent, although most of those companies' water is "as good as tap." You'll have to do some digging on your own. I suggest taking a look at this site.

www.waterwarning.com.

The bottled water companies aren't regulated like the municipal water companies. That means that water purity and contamination tests are less frequent. You are allowed to get a water quality report from your city or town for your tap water. The bottled water companies lobbied congress to get that obligation thrown out, so they don't have to give you water quality reports.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by DamnedDirtyApes]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I saw a infomercial the other night that was for this new water purifier and according to it all bottled water has contaminants... In fact some bottled water comes right from the tap... I'm sure with a few e-mails to the company in question will get you an answer... Or you can buy a water purity test and test the quality of your tap vs the bottled... I'm sure you'll find even filtered water isn't much better than the tap...

How to test water purity

Fast-food toilet-water has less bacteria than their drinks-ice

A seventh-grade student in New Tampa, FL, compared the water in fast food restaurants' toilets to the water used in their drinks-ice and concluded that the ice was higher in bacteria than the toilets. 12-year-old Jasmine Roberts won her school science fair for her research and hopes to win the county prize this week. Full Story

Want to contact Nestle Pure Life?
Contact Form

[edit on 2-5-2008 by ElectricUncleSam]

new topics

top topics

join