It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where will you go when you Bug-out?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I live in a big city so staying put IMO is not a option when the SHTF.

I have two options to the north, on foot I can make it to the first place in about 5 or 6 days, the second spot is another 3 - 4 days.

Making it out of the city on foot will be a trick but I don't think there will be any other options, I don't think any one will make any headway driving anywhere.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

If you are prepared you can survive in a city until its safer to leave. City really are survivable. not ideal but still still survivable.

What to do when you just cant leave (city survival)

Let all the other fools kill each other trying to bug out wate til things settle down then go.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Bugging out isn't always the best option. Depending upon what kind of "S" has hit the fan, staying put right where you are may be the best option. Surviving in the city can be done if you can think creatively.

Just remember if you have to bug out, there are going to be all sorts of folks out there who want to separate you from your belongings and your life, and won't hesitate a New York second to do so. That's one reason, and an important one IMNSHO, to stay right where you are, unless circumstances simply do not let you do so. Hunker down, and let it go right over your head...

For me? If staying put isn't an option, the Oregon Blues are a two to three day walk from me, and I can, with some effort, survive very nicely there...

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
To bug or not to bug, that is the question.

It all depends on the situation. If you live in a nicer area, one where you actually have a separate house, you might be better staying put for a while, as others have said. Turn off the lights, lock the doors, and sit waiting with ye olde shotgun pointing at the windows. As long as the looters don't target your house, you'll be safe.

On the other hand, always, and I mean always, have an escape route mapped out. Civil unrest is a very nasty thing to predict, since mob mentality usually equals no mentality. And once you've bugged out to wherever it is you bugged out to, immediately find another escape route from there.

Here where I live, I plan on staying put as long as I can. It's quite possible that the worst will involve about a pound of lead and a few rotting corpses stinking up the place. But if need be, I can slip away on a moment's notice and go to any one of a dozen places that are so far from civilization that I doubt anyone will be out there... unless they are escaping like me, which opens the possibility of a truce/cooperation.

From my little shanty, I can reach the obvious military outlook post for the nearest city, three or four totally isolated locations, about 6 areas which have electricity and water, but few homes, and a couple of abandoned hunting clubhouses, all with only two crosses over open land, each of those less than 100 yards. Each location is within 1 day's journey, two if being extremely stealthy.

Be aware of where you are and what's around you, and don't look for the routes most traveled. Look for the harder routes, as those will be the easiest to avoid contact in, and the ones that the most inventive enemies will choose to use. Not a bad idea to stash a few things along your routes to dig out when you need them. It makes it easier to take off on a moment's notice.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I am over seas right now so my options are limited to communst cuba
but hey im a communst at heart any way, I would run to the hills I have the bug out bag allready in the event of any thing crazy going on so all I would have to do is grab and go along with a few like minded indaviduals im no coward but I will tell you if martal law was to be declared (and its not) but in the event it was im gone if the economy colapises im gone if the army gets to crazy and im state sie Canada heer I come!

(disclamer)
I have no intention of deserting the army as I know all my posts from here are screend so Pss off army intel

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
If I were in a city I might stay for a few days and let things calm down a bit so as not to get caught up in the initial panic.

I live in a rural area, going to stay because that is where the support of friends and my supplies are.

top topics

join