It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

suddenly dull Lcd monitor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
about 2 months ago i pickedup and 19' widescreen acer LCD and its worked perfectly till last night when suddenly it lost about half its brightness will i was gaming. having a monitor that shows colors properly is ery important as im studying graphic design at the moment and need to be able to see the correct colours.

does anyone know what the dealio might be or is it just a case of take it back and hope for a replacment?

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
make sure it is plugged into the video card tightly... If it's hanging off the connection or has come loose this could happen, if that doesn't work, try the second, third or fourth DVI connection to see if that helps... Might consider screwing the monitor in just to make sure you have the tightest possible connection... If you've tried all DVI and still nothing, you can try a factory reset on the monitor... If you up the brightness or the reset doesn't work and you haven't messed with it in the slightest since it worked last then chances are you got a bad monitor... You might also try another DVI cable or if you're using an adapter using different adapters to see if you get any results... Troubleshoot away... Even might try installing latest drivers just for kicks... If no result take it back man... easy as that... :bnghd:

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

^^^

Majorly important. If the connection in the back wasn't tight enough, you may have nudged your tower and caused it to loosen. That causes some funny things to happen. I've seen it cause weird colors everywhere, dull out the screen, and more.

What game were you playing and what type of video card? Any chance you blew it out? Do the graphics look normal in windows, or dull everywhere?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Did it loose the brightness all over or more in some areas than others?

The system used in older (CRT) monitors produces its own light, but LCDs must have a light source (usually two cold cathode fluorescent light bulbs) behind the screen to show any image.

If any of those light bulbs stops working the image will be darker, but more on the area near the dead light bulb.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I once bought a new moniter cos I thought my old one was knackered. Turned out the graphics card had gone. Another 100 quid I didn't need to spend,spent.

they're easy to put in aswell. I didid mine all byed myself I did.

betchya it's that

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I'm no expert on screens, but is it possible that the backlight failed? I'd try the other suggestions first, as well as making sure your video drivers didn't lower your brightness for some reason. Try that other suggestions, and if they don't help you could try some dedicated hardware forums.... then it's time to RMA.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
O.k i went away for the weekend, came back and it is back to normal again without being touched. all it needed was a rest apparently, whod have thunk it?

thread over

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ivzm

Could still be your video card. Often after being turned off for a while they will appear to operate normally, and then once reheated it malfunctions again.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

I left the pc on all day and its fine, if it was bung I'd be cranky since I only built this pc 2 months ago.

My house does thing like this to tech i used to have a hard drive that would randomly decide it had no data and couldn't be formated and a week later would magically work like new.

new topics

top topics

join