It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best way to dispose of nuclear waste

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I was wondering what the best way to dispose of nuclear waste/by-products. Would it be feasible to send the junk into space... maybe on a trajectory with the sun?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
thats something smart but the thing that would bring the junk to the sun will melt before even getting close to it and the computer controlling the thing would just get screwed up by the many UV rays the sun gives off

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
why use the fusion of the sun if we have the tech for fusion reactors we could put all the wast in the fusion reactors and fuse the wast with other elements withs takes it in to a different non harming material.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Send it to the moon, methodically and carefully. But then, the aliens probably would not like that too much.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
ALIENS WOULD LOVE IT....THEY LOVE EATING NUKES

thats why they want our planet

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
nuke-eating aliens would solve the disposal issue.

We could also drill a super deep hole and shoot all that waste into the earth's hot core encased in protective containment that breaks down at the highest of temps.
Let it burn up and chuckle as Gaya burps out a massive geo thermal fart.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I've always liked the idea of the moon as a dump....

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
So let fill up a Russian Energia (can carry up to 100 tonnes up to LEO (Low Earth Orbit)).

2 minutes after blast off the controller annouces that we appear to have a major malfunction ... the rocket has exploded. We now have up to 100 tonnes of radioactive material in the upper atmosphere spread across the entire planet.

The green hyperventelate about a rocket carry a nuclear powered motor (Galileo) with just a couple og KG of radio active material aboard going on a rocket that rated for manned flight (the Shuttle).

This is just not an option at the mo. Maybe one day some new to orbit technology will have sufficient safety levels but until that day putting it in space is not an option.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
As for putting it in a fusion reactor, that is also not an option.

Fusion reactor run on light element (like the sun) hydrogen heleium and lithium.

Dumping in loads of heavy element would disrupte the plasma flow in which the fusion takes place.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
euh pretty bad idea if not the worst sending it to the moon don't forget space plans moon landing 2015 2020. future settlement of humankind.

best way is there. they are planning to use lasers and they all ready tested it and it worked it must be some where here on ats 4 months ago or more I read something here about it.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by that weirdo CookieMonster000, whom I liken to a box of hair
...thats something smart but the thing that would bring the junk to the sun will melt before even getting close to it and the computer controlling the thing would just get screwed up by the many UV rays the sun gives off

Why would it have to be in a vehicle? We could just catapult it into the sun all by itself.

Originally posted by Gazrok
I've always liked the idea of the moon as a dump....

I always liked the idea of the moon as a prison. She IS a Harsh Mistress!

DC

[Edited on 27-2-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm not allowed to be mean to CookieMonster anymore. Please accept my apology with this box of hair!

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
has an average of 53.51 posts per day. Absolute value= -0

DC

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Turn it into DU

Tank Rounds for everyone!!!, Id support just shooting it into deep space like Voyager or any other deep space probe.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I like the idea of sending it to the moon. Hey, maybe the moon would glow green eventually?

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
how do you know i have an average of 50 posts perday....besides the moon is bad even without turning green...and yes my posts have value...more value then YOUR brain of course

top topics

join