It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life. Live IT! Like I Do.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Hmmmmm............
Sometimes we take a look at life and cry foul. The bad seems so overwhelming. Unsurmountable.
Sometimes we feel as though we are chained to a desk.
Sometimes we are trying to figure out why we do a job that seems to pay nothing.
Sometimes we think about how 'everyone else has it so good, so why can't I?'

I have a friend named Willie. This weekend he invited me to his church. A Baptist church. I went to the part of the city which many call the bad lands. Crime is high and frankly it's pretty scary. Willie lives his life here.
I walked into the church. I was a single white snowflake on black volcanic sand. In other words I stood out.
Everyone turned and looked at me. A whole lot of strangers looking at ME. Kind of intimidating. I was a stranger. I was different. I wasn't welcome.
Then something happened. I was never so wrong. EVERYONE welcomed me. With open arms. Willie was there. He was beaming. He was wearing his Sunday best. Everyone was. Willie came up, stood in front of me, and stated 'This is my man lombozo." I don't think I ever was hugged by so many people. I recognized some from the soup kitchen, but the majority of the people there were total strangers. They made me feel like family.
The service was several hours long. It was awesome! Some pontification, alot of singing, and I mean GREAT choir singing. I was welcomed to speak. Being the ham I am, of course I did. I loved it!
After the service I was asked to come to a family feast. By family, I am speaking of the entire membership of the church.
Are you kidding me? You couldn't keep me away!
Willie took me under his wing and made sure that everyone knew I was his friend.

More of these new found friends had next to nothing. They struggle. They struggle to pay bills. They struggle to survive on a street where 'gangstas' rule and kill without remorse. They struggle. They wish they had what most take for granted.
Do you believe in miracles? I lived one. These friends of mine treated me like a king. I basked in the warmth their furnaces threw off. I filled my belly with food which they made and just short of demanded I ate. Willie never left my side. I would adopt this kid if I could.
At one point Reverend Johnson pulled me aside and thanked me. He thanked ME.
I asked "why?"

"Because you care about your fellow man. The Lord Jesus smiles upon you. I know who you are."

"Who am I?"

"You are my Brother. You are a brother to many."

I didn't know what to say.

We partied for quite awhile. It was all good.
As I was getting ready to go, Willie came up to me and said 2 things to me. The first made me laugh.
"I told you not to dance in public Dawg!"

The second made me get misty.

"Lombozo, I'm gonna call you Dad, OK?"

On the ride home I thought about things, and realized that dammit - life throws curves all the time, but it is what you make of it.

Life. LIFE. Love it. Live it.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Awww, this brought a wonderful amount of chills through me...and uncontrollable tears!
(I wont explain why but, I know)

I'm glad you had fun, and everyone welcomed you!

[edit on 4/15/2008 by Givenmay]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
You definitely don't want to be isolated in this world, especially if you have it like they do.

Makes me want to love the world again like I used to.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
- wipes a tear -

What a sweet story, took me totally by surprise, thanks for posting it
There's so much bad news and gloom and doom nowadays it was a NICE surprise.

Thanks for making my evening

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyorai
You definitely don't want to be isolated in this world, especially if you have it like they do.

Considering what you posted about a week ago..Iam so very happy to hear that.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyorai

There's alot to love about this world. All you need to do is open your own eyes and see.

top topics

join