It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the Olympics be held only in Democratic countries?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
These kinds of suggestions are the exact hypocrisy and double-standards why many "non-democratic", most often "non-Western" countries and her population have to puke on. Especially considered that the Olympics is awarded to the country who received the most votes, uhmmm, someone said something about democracy? WHAT IS DEMOCRACY? So if someone in your country vote for the communist party, or nationalistic party, or at least do not vote for your party, then that person should not be called a citizen of your country? And you create all kinds of events only for the voters of your party? These are why there are still so much fighting and miss-understanding between people of different cultures, norms, values and mentalities. It is that people are not willing to open their arms for someone of a totally different opinion than theirs and believe that their opinion is the superior one over the other. Hypocrits I call them.

I only like one of the suggestion that to hold the Olympics only in Greece. But you can be guaranteed that it will loose her appeal to the world very soon as soon. So it would not work that well.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I think an action like this would be an over-reaction.

There is already an olymic selection commite in place that selects a site for the Game.

These are set ahead of time, and the political atsomophere can change in that period of time.

I dont think it would be right to rule out countries based solely on the type of goverment, but rather, the selection commitie should do its work.

Every once in a while we get a 1936 Berlin Olymics, but most of the time, its fine.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
But one thing that Rocky 4 showed is that a sport could bring more of a social understanding with people.

Okay you know what I mean, sport can probably solve some problems and it may help promote what is possitive about it, to get along as a people of one world planet instead of hating each other and maybe only sport can do it like music can too if its possitive in its approach. Maybe showing a bit of love might tame the oppressing nations.

[edit on 13-5-2008 by The time lord]

[edit on 13-5-2008 by The time lord]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiloke
I think we should leave the politics and religious differences out of the Olympics and keep them as what they were intended to bt, not have them turned into yet another way to tell us all how we should feel about something.

I agree. However, even the earliest Olympic Games were subject to some minor political motivations; It seems that Sparta, if they weren't absolutely certain to win any any given individual event, would refuse to participate in those events...Spartan pride, more than anything.

I just wish the athletes would compete in the way they used to...Naked. I'd bet TV ratings would soar through the roof!

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
WHAT IS DEMOCRACY?

Essentially, democracy is Mob Rule, where anyone with a good PR campaign can sway the public to vote any way that the individual can manipulate. Remember, Hitler managed to gain absolute rule in a democracy. The current US government knows this & understand it...After all, the US government is already been showing the same footprints as Hitler left behind. The USA is supposed to be a Constitutional Republic (see Article 4, Section 4), not a democracy...Just one more example of our government violating their legally-binding Oaths to obey the Constitution.

[edit on 13-5-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I think China should in the end just host it then the people will unite in the spirit of love for it and everyone will talk about it as a people and get on.

It might change some attitudes, unless some groups decide to ruin the events and then the oppotunity will never be so close again.

The only worry is an earthquake during the events then that would be trouble.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I have changed my mind, If the Western values are seen as hate to some people because we try and help countries and people out of a mess, like Iraq for example. The free nations should at least try and promote unity with all other countries, I don't think the Western cultures want to purposely create war but I think circumstances come about where the excuse being true or false is always to liberate people and settle the outcome for the better. Although the British empire is not seen in the best light and the past effects the present and all actions could seem like its continuation from it.
But if the free world can help show that we all can get along and we all accept our differences and I feel many countries are under rules where they don't accept differences but rather than war with them we can show an example that like the Olympics all can compete without war but as individuals who accept to work with others not matter which race or religion or genda.
Maybe sport can built an understanding relationship who knows?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
They should stop all global sporting events for the moment: or stop them being televised. My reason is that whenever there is a sporting event of a global nature the money make from people spending money online reduces and like it or not the internet economy is the economy. These global sporting events like the olympics, the world cup, wimbledon, the commonwealth games, are will cause or facilitate a global recession. They are too damaging to the economy to continue or to be televised.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join