It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stealthski: What happened to the shot down F-117

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
As the last F-117 stand down and are placed in recoverable storage at Nellis, one airframe remains unaccounted for. The F-117 that was shot down by the Serbians. The Serbians sold the recovered airframe to the Russians. The Russians used the airframe in research and some of that may have used in the S300PMU2 SAM. I always beleived that it was not a mistake to NOT bounce the wreckage. No doubt Russian aid allowed the serbs to wage thier war of genocide in Bosnia and this was some sort of payoff for that.

The part Im curious about in the write up is when it talks about "lack of electrical continuity" in the recovered wreckage? The faceting was a passive stealth measuure so Im not really clear as to why it would matter?

The whereabouts of the downed fighter was unknown for months, although Pentagon officials said unofficially that it was possibly in either Russia or China. But at the next Moscow air show in 2001, two Aviation Week & Space Technology reporters interviewed advanced projects officials from Russia’s top surface-to-air missile (SAM) organizations—now merged as the Almaz-Antey Air Defense Co.

These officials, in a stunning admission, said they not only had the aircraft, but were using data from tests conducted with the remains to design improved SAMs (AW&ST Oct. 8, 2001, p. 80). Given the first-generation, faceted stealth design of the F-117 and the lack of electrical continuity obtainable from the badly damaged aircraft, it’s still an open question as to how much useful information could actually be obtained.
www.aviationweek.com.../awst_xml/2008/0 4/07/AW_04_07_2008_p50-38509.xml&headline=One+F-117+Still+Missing+from+Official+Rolls

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
there is alot of info and data that can be gathered from a wreckage. the lack of electrical continuity could man that they didnt recover the wiring or something like that. i thought all the new advanced aircrafts had a failsafe to prevent this type of action. i was under the impression if the responding military unit could not recover said aircraft it would self destruct or the pilot could set it to self destruct, rendering all info and data recovery useless. or maybe i was just watching too much tv.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The "lack of electrical continuity" refers to that of the entire surface of the aircraft. I don't have the time to look up the particulars at the moment but it has to do with the fundamental principles of radar. There is probably a lot of good information about this on the Internet.

I was a little bit disappointed that the AvWeek article neglected to mention that some of the wreckage of the F-117A (including the canopy, one wing, various small pieces, ejection seat, and the pilot's survival kit) is on display at the Aviation Museum in Belgrade. The museum gift shop sells small pieces with a certificate of authenticity.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
From my understanding, many people that helped develop some of the Radar Absorbent Materials, as well as other coatings, have become sick.

I would not think it would be wise to pass parts of the aircraft around...

As to the aircraft, no doubt the Russians and/or Chinese would get their hands on it. Am sure a lot was learned and would have been applied to their systems.

However, the F-117 was a first Gen stealth aircraft and as anything else, stealth technology doesn't remain stagnant.

All in all, it had a very successful career, especially compared to other strike aircraft. But, kudos should be given to Zoltan Dani for having the patience to shoot one down.

Thankfully the pilot survived.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowhawk

Wow, what a way to build a peaceful relationship and dispel tension and hostility between two nations. What the hell is their problem? Do we do that with all of their MiG-29s?? Maybe we should sell off pieces of stuff hit with stinger missiles. What a dick move...I'm not saying they should just give the plane back but I think that's a childish attempt at flaunting victory, or "rubbing it in". What jerks...

Sorry that was my rant. I just find that ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
As the last F-117 stand down and are placed in recoverable storage at Nellis, one airframe remains unaccounted for.

This is really insignificant on an otherwise great post but the F-117's are in storage at the Tonopah Test Range which is independent of the Nellis Range. It is however surrounded by the Nellis Range on the West, South and East with Bureau of Land Management turf to the north.

Natalie~

top topics

join