It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suddenly, the Roof of the World Is Closed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Suddenly, the Roof of the World Is Closed

[url=http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/04/06/travel/06practibet.html?ex=1365566400&en=641a176557f72407&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss]travel.nytimes.com[ /url]

Within days of the protests, the Chinese government barred tourists from Tibet, which China calls an autonomous region, by no longer issuing the entry permits needed to travel there. The two main routes to Mount Everest, including one in Nepal, are being shut to climbers for much of the May climbing season, to protect China’s plans to carry the Olympic torch to its summit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Funny how a country that China describes as "autonomous" can have it's borders shut down. I'm guessing that there will be a media blackout to follow.

travel.nytimes.com[ /url]
(visit the link for the full news article)
[url=http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/04/06/travel/06practibet.html?ex=1365566400&en=641a176557f72407&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss]Practical Traveler

Edited to add working link (hopefully)

[edit on 10-4-2008 by kelbtalfenek]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Every time I see commercials in our media presenting China as the best in the frontier for Americas corporate Capitalism I can not stop thinking that the brainwashing of the American public is in full gear to accept this communist country as an equal, Yes a communist country that we have their products and their goods in our homes and everyday lives.

Yes they as a communist nation do not need to answer to nobody,they can closed their borders, commit genocide in the Tibet and still inundate our nations with their trash while our nations economical interest profit from the Olympics.

If you think that our nations economical sector cares about human rights violations and what goes on in the Tibet, think again.

Is all about money.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Word up

China, IMO, knows what they can do and what they want to do...I say let them do whatever they want as long they're our friends

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It would seem that Tibet is experiencing what it would be for a fledgling independant nation to emerge in a western country like america or europe.

Total shutdown.

Well, the Chinese were somewhat merciful up til' now, i suppose i have to give them that.

I suppose it was too good to last...

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by adkchamp
China, IMO, knows what they can do and what they want to do...I say let them do whatever they want as long they're our friends

But they're not our friends. The Bush Administration wants us to believe a few scattered tribes of Islamic extremists are the greatest threat this nation faces, or has ever faced. Meanwhile, Communist China, who really and truly does see themselves as the rightful rulers of Planet Earth, has learned from the mistakes of Hitler and Stalin and are achieving their goal--not through military power (though theirs is considerable; their soldiers are well-trained and they have some pretty good technology--and of course, vast numbers to easily overwhelm ours) but through the real power of this world, money.

Hitler's Germany was defeated because "Der Fuhrer" was writing checks for global domination that his military and logistical support systems couldn't cash.

Stalin's Russia eventually fell apart under its own insane military spending and weak economic base.

Now America is taking both routes to self-destruction, while the Chinese, having learned from all of this, use their incredible available manpower and shady back-room deals to make huge sums of money they've re-invested around the world. When the time is right they'll make a move. Economically or militarily, it will happen. Watch Taiwan--The moment they move to invade the real fireworks will begin, and the results won't be pretty for any of us.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Yes, they use their art of war very good indeed in the economical sector, meanwhile our greedy corporate ruled government is sitting on their arses thinking that hey have control.

Like The Nighthawk said they are no our friends they have an agenda and for a nation as ancient as China, time is in their side.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Like The Nighthawk said they are no our friends they have an agenda and for a nation as ancient as China, time is in their side.

:3

Not while dem' free-tibet protestors are kicking up a fuss.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Yes is protesters everywhere, hopefully governments around the world will listen, but reality set in, our corporate sector has invested a lot of money in the Olympics, how far will the US government will go supporting human rights in the Tibet at the expenses of corporate loses.

Will America stand up for the people of Tibet?

I wonder.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Hell, the newspapers are already call the procession in san fran. a farce, and Gordo has said that he's dodging the opening ceremony.

It's not as if they can afford to be ignorant of what's going on.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Word up

I'm not really sure if you're being sarcastic or not. The truth is that they're not our friends, not even in the least. They're using the US for economic gain. That's really about it.

top topics

join