It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-2 Final Contract

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

Instead of the 130-200 aircraft previously considered for purchase, Japan announced that the final contract would be for eight airframes. This brings the total acquisition to under one hundred aircraft. Reason cited was cost overruns making the F-2 roughly as expensive as the -15J they build under license. See article for more details.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
The F-2 is sth made by MHI does wrong way. This mistake if had been foreseeable, Japanese should purchased F-16XL which either air-combat capability or attack-ground capability is much superior than F-2. The F-16 is most beautiful combat jetfighter also unprecedented and …… say UNIQUE. But such perfect jetfighter won't allowed anyone or anyway to amend or revamp it. To reduced angle of swept or increased tail are stupid way to obtain what you want more .

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
It's funny, I thought that this had already been decided and made public. Makes sense though......gotten very expensive and doesn't provide anything special to the force.

I remember the intense debate and vitriole over the original "FSX" program in the late 1980s. "Japan-ophobia" was at its height and the technology transfers involved led many to think that it would ignite a resurrection in the Japanese aerospace industry, similar to their electronics and auto industries, to compete with U.S. aerospace.

Funny to think about now.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I think it has was twice before decided to limit production. This article was the first I've read stating Japan put Lockheed Martin on notice. With the cost overruns they would have been much better off building more -15's under license, but hind sight is 20/20.
Do they replace the 30 extra phantoms with additional F-15J production or make a few F-4's hold on in limited roles? Or just take the hit to force size and save the money by losing 1-2 squadrons?

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JoeinTX

The Mitsubishi MRJ may well be likely to start that all over again among certain inhabitants of the American continent, if they get it right

top topics

join