It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imagine the chaos; Earth Almost Put on Impact Alert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
well according to this and I don't know how reliable it is, but I noticed it on two sites, it almost did happen, btw anyone know if this is a reliable site or not?

www.stevequayle.com...
"No one was quite sure at the beginning where 2004 AS1 was headed. Some scientists believed on 13 January that a 30m object, later designated 2004 AS1, had a one-in-four chance of hitting the planet within 36 hours. It could have caused local devastation and the researchers contemplated a call to President Bush before new data finally showed there was no danger.
The procedures for raising the alarm in such circumstances are now being revised. At the time, the president's team would have been putting the final touches to a speech he was due to make the following day at the headquarters of Nasa, the US space agency.
In it he planned to reset the course of manned spaceflight, sending it back to the Moon and on to Mars, but he could have had something very different to say.
If... the call had been made to the president it would have been disastrous � Brian Marsden, Minor Planet Center"

[Edited on 2-24-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
wow, thats pretty freaky...good find

On a website earlier today I noticed that they started coming up with a plan in case something like that was heading towards earth.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
if i remember right, NASA said that if they discovered that something was headed towards earth they would say nothing about it to the general public.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
"Chicken-Little, Sky is falling sites again" Near Earth Orbit Tracking, at our current technology
level, can be had from the real source. This information is not classified and is available to the
public. If the big one comes, somebody will scream. Not much else to do. Me, I'm for
a tall cool one, a few pretzels, and watch the show. From the horses mouth, back about
3 or so years ago, this is the scariest one we have seen:

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

enjoy. ( Sip, Chomp)

/\/ight\/\/ing

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
There is going to be more and more asteroids coming so beware everyone! Hopefully only a few of the small ones will hit.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Is it possible that some of these are large alien craft?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Is it possible that some of these are large alien craft?

now why would you suggest that???

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I think that it would be possible that if an announcement from the President of the U.S made something like this, there would definitely be fear and panic. Looting, and everything else with it.

It's time to build some underground cavities.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I've posted a news submission on atsnn.com to do with this, slightly more detailed though

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Now we're getting alerts of possible asteroid hits on Earth, articles saying if an asteroid hit there would have been devastation.

There are also report of the Environmental crisis with global warming.

Maybe the governments are gauging our response to a near hit with the mentioned asteroid as discussed. Or, this could just be preparation for a bigger asteroid.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
[edit on 2004-7-2 by Teknik]

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TekNo88
On a website earlier today I noticed that they started coming up with a plan in case something like that was heading towards earth.

I saw something like this a few days ago myself. The best way I heard to prevent an impact was not to destory the object but slow it down just enough to let the earth move a distance that equal to its of diameter, which takes roughly about 6 minutes. That seems to be a easy way instead of tryin to hit it with rockets or whatnot.

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
if i remember right, NASA said that if they discovered that something was headed towards earth they would say nothing about it to the general public.

Now, I wonder why they would do that? Ever hear of mass panic? If would got out that one would indeed hit, and cause catostraphic damage or dare say one to wipe us all out, I would not want to know and I would bet most people on the planet wouldnt want to either. If it turned out to be catpstraphic, economies would crumble as it was told to the public. You think it is bad here know witht the economy, imagine if prices rose instantly to meet demands and fill the pockets of those selling use goods and services.

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Nightwing:

The J002e3d was more than likely the 3rd stage rocket from Apollo 12. Read about it here:
www.planetary.org...

top topics

join