It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"belief" in conspiracies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
ok, probly gonna explain myself badly but hear goes.
i dont have a faith, i dont particularly think one way or the other in that respect but like most human beings i suppose i find myself asking those big questions you know why am i hear whats the meaning behind it all. i just look at the evidence in front of me and try to form what i think are logical conclusions from those. saying that to be honest i don't hold any merit in any of the religions out there. dont want to tread on anyones toes and this is not what this thread is about, to each his own, i think there is merit in some of them as a way of life but a belief structure?this thread really is about the nature of belief itself i suppose. anywho this gets me thinkin about why everyone on the planet just seems to have this need to believe in something greater than themselves, and why people fight so hard to defend there beliefs. i think at the end of it all its a simple question of facing our own mortality and a meaning to keep going. its far easyer for us to believe in something bigger than ourselves whatever that may be as long as we dont have to face the scary fact that when we die there may very well be nothing and at that point our lives means nothing. so what would be the point in living in doing all these things we busy our lives with, its a paradox of intelligence and self awareness. this sort of stuff quite literally is life or death when it comes to peoples opinions on the subject and there are countless examples of people believing the most ridiculous things and "religions" around the world going to extreme lengths to defend that, all in my eyes to prevent them from having to face the point i just raised.
so could it be that this hole website is in itself a replacement for a religion for people who dont necessarally believe in religion?, i have read allot of the threads around hear quite regularly because i am interested but sometimes i find myself getting a bit to far drawn into the stories i hear. i read peoples replies to threads and some people sometimes just seem to deny logic on issues, coming up with answers to problems that arnt really there to keep the stories going, mad crazy explanations to counter arguments because they simply wont let it go. i dont want to debunk anything or anyone hear but it seems to me that this behavior seems sort of similar to the religion thing. could it be that these conspiracies these secrets and cover ups are all just another set of bigger things for us all to ocupy ourselves with?
not really sure where i want to go with this but just thought i would put it out there and see what you think, just think about it next time you try to pass judgment on something said hear and try to really understand the motives ,if any to your conclusions.

peace

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by luka1222

Very interesting post luka1222. I have always thought in similar ways and came up with the similar conclusions with why I read conspiracies, and belive in God and other things.

Personally I think people just want to belive that not everything is normal. That there has to be something different and unexpected like various conspiracys. Or like a higher power as you mentioned.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hello there.

Im an athiest and an ex conspiracy thoert believer. The only 2 i think may (and possibly only) have some substance is 9/11 and 7/7. I have a friend who constantly bangs on about how much he believes in the end of the world at 2012.

Imagine a bridge that has had a chunk cut out of it and traffic temporarily cannot pass.

Now we can fill this gap with any thing as long as it holds the wieght of whats passing over it.

Now theres no difference to the human mind

We can fill this gap in our mind with

1) Religion

2) most of the theories found on here

3) or just accepting life if the way it is and thats it.

I think there are people out there who are scared about the possibillity of option 3 being true and need to have something to believe to fill that mental gap

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Some interesting ideas. I agree in that I think that conspiracies and religion can serve a similar purpose for the human mind. I do think that many people including myself try to think conspiracy theories through, some people may get so caught up in a conspiracy theory that they might start to make things up just to support it as the OP said.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by luka1222
ok, probly gonna explain myself badly but hear goes....
its far easier for us to believe in something bigger than ourselves whatever that may be as long as we don't have to face the scary fact that when we die there may very well be nothing and at that point our lives means nothing.......
not really sure where i want to go with this but just thought i would put it out there and see what you think, just think about it next time you try to pass judgment on something said hear and try to really understand the motives ,if any to your conclusions.

peace

First, I have to say you are wrong. You explained yourself quite well.

*NOTE* you should read this post while listening to Artist: Devotchka, Song: The Clockwise Witness.( it has relevance+good tune)

So, regarding your statement, above, in italics, again I believe you are wrong. My reasoning is as follows:

1) Whether you are a believer or nonbeliever life is not meaningless. Actually quite the opposite. Words such as precious, inestimable, beautiful, alluring, awesome, Da Shiz cannot even begin to describe OUR planet: EARTH.

2) Science estimates our universe to have over trillions of stars. Stars have planets and moons in it's orbit. It is plausible that there are planets, similar to ours, with water. Which could sustain life. The point is there is there is a lot of room for a few other lifeforms. Proving life is that much more precious.

3) all Religions from across the globe, from all times, have many things in common. A few are Hope after life has past and a Higher Entity/ Supreme Being/ GOD. If "They" have taking us under there wings(so to speak) that alone should be uplifting to ponder on.

So there you have it luka1222. Thats my little 5p essay. I don't even know you, yet I know I'm not alone with my belief of life not being "nothing", and I also know others feel the same about your life

Live
Laugh
Love
Learn
Let-go
&
FIGHT

-TheMeanSeen-

top topics

join