It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Wall of China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Im not too sure if its classified as a urban legend, but you CAN'T see the Great Wall of China from space. My Asia Geography and History teacher said that. I told him its not, but everybody in my class was disagreeing with me. You just CAN'T see it from space. Can you see any 4 lane highways/interstates? No and the Great Wall of China isnt any wider.

Thought I would just throw that out there, because of all the people seeming to believe it.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
What you say is true. It is an urban legend that you can see the Great Wall of China from space. To get any kind of view of it, you'd have to use Google Earth to zoom in to be able to see it.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonm56

Dude even the first Chinese Astronaut admitted that he couldn't see it.

BBC article

MonKey

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well what bothers me is that many people dont realise its not possible to see it. Even in this video we watched on the 3 gorges dam it said "Besides the Great Wall of China, the 3 Gorged Dam is the only other man made thing seen from space". Im just tired of hearing it.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonm56

Always nice to include a link to back up your argument.

Although not the naked eye, here's the closest thing to it , I guess. This was taken with a 180mm lens.

image source: www.nasa.gov...

www.nasa.gov...

This photo of central Inner Mongolia, about 200 miles north of Beijing, was taken on Nov. 24, 2004, from the International Space Station. The yellow arrow points to an estimated location of 42.5N 117.4E where the wall is visible. The red arrows point to other visible sections of the wall. Credit: NASA.

[edit on 9-4-2008 by Jbird]

new topics

top topics

join