It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmate Freed After 14 Years on Death Row

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — After 14 years on death row, an inmate whose murder convictions were thrown out because investigators withheld evidence walked out of prison Wednesday a free man. Goldsmith said they are considering filing a lawsuit. He praised Catawba County prosecutor Jay Gaither deciding not to retry the case, but questioned why it took so long for prosecutors to act after details about the detective's actions emerged in 2004.

www.ncmoratorium.org...

Since evidence was withheld is that not the same as lying? This should be considered purgery and those that withheld the evidence should be sentenced to 14 years in prison. “Ervin also found that the lead detective — who is still working in law enforcement in Burke County — withheld evidence.”

I say drag this trash of a cop in. I wonder how many more are wrongly behind bars because of him?
This illustrate why capital punishment simply doesnt work.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Surprised there were not any responses to this thread. Anyways, "the Florida Senate on Thursady approved paying the Tallahasee man $1.25million in compensation for the 24 years he spent in prison for a double rape he did not commit".

The compensation amounts to about $137 for every day he spent in prison after being convicted of rape and participation in a home-invasion robbery.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
There was comedy of errors with this case. Beside the evidence withholding, there were alcohol abusing lawyers, and sleeping jurors. Capital case held by a great judge who didn't notice this was happening.

I'm not going to go into the argument of capital crime and the death sentence. No one will ever have their mind changed on this subject, using this format for a debate.

What I will say is this. Then everyone can flame on.

Let's go back to the 1940's and 50's. America's golden era that everyone who lived in America at that time, prospered. Reminiscence with me as I walk down tree lined streets in a "Leave it to Beaver" or "Mayberry" setting.

Crime and punishment was treated very differently than now. Convicts didn't have air conditioned cells with cable TV. Time in jail was punishment, not time off of life and you just hang around living the same or better than you did on the outside.

If a person happened to commit a capital crime and the death penalty was imposed, a person had on average, 6 months from sentence to the death chamber. This really meant something in those days. Justice was swift, doesn't mean justice was sure.

Does this mean innocent people were killed by false accusations, I'm sure there are many alleged examples. But that is for a different thread. The means for scientific and forensic evidence were crude at the very best. DNA not even heard of. But these statements miss the mark. Society as a whole was better because convicted people were put to death for crimes. This held the entire crime rate down.

This is were I have a real problem. Our society has become such a group hug society that we pander to everyone and try to offend no one. This clown was on death row for 14 years. He should have been dead for at least 13 of them, IMHO. This is why vicious crime means nothing to today's criminals. What is the real punishment? Some time in jail watching TV and being fed for free. That ain't a bad life for some of these guys.

Chances are, say I just went apesh*t and killed my wife of +30 years using an axe or hammer after an argument she was clearly wrong in. Okay, I live in a death sentence state and receive the death penalty 2 years from now, minimum, as the first trial winds it way through the clogged legal system. Appeal after appeal after appeal, later; I will probably die of old age before the State can impose the punishment. Where is justice? Wife is still dead, I retired to jail and died.

This doesn't make an innocent man going to jail any better. Our society is so jacked up now, cases like this make the splash, someone writes a check, and everyone is smiling at the end of the day.

It truly was better back when someone died for a crime, innocence or guilt withstanding. America was a better country.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

So basically, kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!

It's that 1940s mindset that shaped the Bush and Cheny style of WOT.
All Japanese need to be in detention because of the war in Asia.
The Inquisition tortured you till you admitted guilt, so they had a perfect track record.
The Sanhedrin can never be wrong, and the Romans know it.

Yes indeed, no need for us to move past those days of perfection.

new topics

top topics

join