It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

email hacked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Guys, I need your help.

Somebody has hacked my hotmail acount and is using it to send viruses. I changed my password 2 days ago, but it happened again.
Is there any way to stop that? How do they get the password? I assume I have a trojan on my comp but Norton AV and Spyboot are not detecting anything.

I am so pissed off

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
How do you know viruses are being sent out? People telling you they're getting them?

The newest Trojans out there have the ability to spoof a sender's address, to make it look like a virus is being sent from a person it's really not. In other words, someone who has you on their address book may have been infected, and the virus just harvested your email addy.
Notably, most of the MyDoom virus variants do this. See here.

-B.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
ah, I see. Thanks for the link.

Yeah, 2 friends of mine told me they got an email from me with a virus. I also got 2 "delivery failure" emails, with original email attached that I never sent.

Man, I hate these low life #heads ( I appologize for the use of curse words) who call themselves hackers. They really piss me off. :bnghd:

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
As long as you're running antivirus that you keep updated, it should've caught any bugs you might have by now.
To be safe, run another scan on your system ... just in case. I use Norton, and it's got virus defs for all the MyDoom variants. I'm suspecting one of 'em is what's causing these emails to be sent, but it's likely not on your machine.

It amazes me how people will open attachments they're not expecting. Anyone who sends me stuff knows it goes in the trash unless they very specifically tell me in the body of the email what they're sending and why... a la
"Hey (name), I'm attaching the new promo pictures we took Saturday night. There are ten of them named ...."

Etc. etc. etc.

-B.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
another good virus scanner for free is Avg virus scanner i have it and its great.

Avg virus scanner

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Make sure your PC has no security leaks, trojans, etc.

Also, if you've ever used another PC to go online and get your email, then that could have been the PC that had the leak or provided your password to someone else and not your personal machine.

Change your password on your Hotmail account again and use a Strong Password. Something with both Capital and Lowercase letters, Numbers and Symbols.

Delete all the crap spam mail and all that from your email account and set it up to block as much of the new ones as possible.

Make sure your PC is up to date on all patches, and so forth also.

If that still doesn't do it. Kill the account and create a new one from scratch. You may want to alert anyone who may be in your contacts on that account as well, as they might be hijacked as well or atleast may need your new email address.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
get mailwasher from mailwasher.com Use this program to read your emails straight from the server. Then you can delete out spam and viruses and only download emails to your machine that you kow are safe. Nothing gets past that program.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
As the others have said somebody maybe faking your email or somebody is running a keylog program on your computer which could be why they keep getting in after you have changed your password.

Damn that netbus lol

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Thanks a lot to all of you

I downloaded some things, changed my password, it seems everything is ok now.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Change your secret question there guessing it.

new topics

top topics

join