It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

England / France Union - Reason for growing relations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
This week was highlight for growing relations between France and England.

I Know that here is members from both country. I want to ask your opinion for true reasons for that. I do can assume my own, but in lack of information from domestic political situation in those country, I am happy from all reply.

France was the greatest opposition when Iraq war started in 2003. It was almost blocked out from international politics because its concerns. Now everybody can join their attitude, and war in Iraq is totally out from being success.

England and France have biggest army in EU. They own EADS together and Airbus is part of that corporation. British and France navy is now out, in the numbers that never before for a long time.

Deeper relations means coalition in forces, and in politics. Is it in the name of Lisbon Treaty, and they are building some block, how they can over take EU in near future, and when new office is coming to take its place?

We all know what Tony Blair is. Nothing good for us. But he is at high position to became EU next president, if France back them in nomination, then its difficult to get anyone to effective challenge them, and Tony Blair. Is it because of this, you think?

Why two country are making deep cooperation now, when all EU members should join together with same agendas? What is the point, is there still coming more Treatys to accept in near future, where they need common pressure to drive that?

When I was in France couple of weeks, driving along Atlantic Wall to Normandy, and spending nights in small villages and towns near museums, all the people were very rude to me, can call racist, because I did speak English, and not French. In my eyes all the French was very hostile to all British, beginning from language.

Two country has long colorful history, but is it now the time to close those country together, and make them as one? And why?

[edit on 29-3-2008 by JanusFIN]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Maybe just a diplomatic matter with goodwill. In the period France president make a trip in England. All things happen. Take it easy.
It's good to two sides

[edit on 29-3-2008 by pityonu]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Last saturday's Guardian carried a frontpage story on new joint anglo-french next-generation nuclear power station projects...that and immigration control, seems there is a plan for france and the UK to go their own way within the wider EU on other issues too

Britain and France to take nuclear power to the world

Britain and France are to sign a deal to construct a new generation of nuclear power stations and export the technology around the world in an effort to combat climate change.

The pact is to be announced at the "Arsenal summit" next week when prime ministers Gordon Brown and Nicolas Sarkozy will meet at the Emirates stadium in north London.

Britain hopes to take advantage of French expertise to build the power stations that do not rely on fossil fuels. Nearly 79% of France's electricity comes from its highly-developed nuclear power industry. The UK's ageing nuclear plants are ready for decommissioning and supply 20% of its energy needs.

Brown hopes the partnership will create a skilled British labour force who would then work in partnership with France to sell nuclear power stations to other countries over the next 15 years.

Britain this week started the process of licensing four generic reactor designs, including the French-designed Areva run by EDF (Électricté de France).

The Anglo-French plan will be controversial among those who believe that nuclear power is too dangerous and dirty, and that governments should place more emphasis on renewable sources of power as part of an international effort to reduce carbon emissions by 50% by 2050.

There is a growing view within the energy industry that nuclear power could be the next lucrative market. British Energy, the country's biggest reactor operator, has become the target of a potential £7bn takover bid as the UK tries to guarantee a secure future energy supply without relying on gas imports from Russia as North Sea oil and gas supplies dwindle.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Yeah, France is building a new nuclear generator in our country now too. What you assume is a one good point. Keeping race against Russian development in energy sector... Thanks, I remember this.

War is only continue in politics, deeper relations doesnt always mean direct and open operations. I really liked to hear your personal opinions from relations from both sides, how you see each others these days.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

The recent fire at the Bacton gas terminal just outside Norwich, the largest import-infrastructure site in the UK for North Sea gas coming from the European Continent (Russian imports) and the Norwegian gas-fields has increased fears over energy-security and in the light of this event, has added weight to the nuclear lobby's arguement for the building of new reactors.

The technological partnership with the French would allow an import/export link between the two nations, perhaps using part of the Channel Tunnel system as a secured cable-route?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
this reminds me of the union that mollet tryed to created in the 50's, it failed then and it will always will, the only time any idea of union between the countrys has been put forward is when france is near total collapse, like in 1940 and 1956.

new topics

top topics

join