It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do I make topics that interest people?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I have gotten no replies to topics which I have made that are about some kind of conspiracy or another. Can someone tell me how to present my information in a way that would interest the readers of a thread? I am thinking that I am losing people somewhere with my post and that something about my posts gets people to lose interest in my topic and then not respond to the thread.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I have not read your posts, so can't respond directly to any 'methods' you use. Shooting from the hip, I would say make sure you are starting a thread that is not been discussed elsewhere or which has been talked to death before. Check the boards for prior history on any subject.

When you post your original thread, try to pose a clear, interesting question for the forum. Be specific. And be opinionated. Don't sit on the fence with your thoughts, but let us have it! Don't rant. Keep it clear and concise.

Finally, be original. Tell me something I don't know, or make a point that you think I might not have considered. If your topic is interesting and your comments original, 'they will come.'

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I read your threads and think they are based on fascinating premises. I'm still pretty new here so this might be a little off but here are just some ideas/opinions:

1). They may be topics that have been discussed many times in the past and people have said what all they can say already. Not that the exact topics were made- just that idea of 'NWO's' and 'Presidential Power Abuse.'

2). Although your threads were great, do you think they may have been a little too general or vague? No offense whatsoever- I think you did a good job. Have you thought about putting a more precise angle on them?

For instance, you made a thread about the presidential power abuses. You could give some examples of the power changes that took place, throw in a little controversy about your opinions on the changes, toss out some sources about some of the bad things that took place due to the changes, and then ask others for their opinions.

Kind of like this:

Step One: Make your premise.
Step Two: Cite some examples, sources, or what have you.
Step Three: State your own view on the subject.
Step Four: Open the floor for your readers by inviting them to share their new thoughts on the subject or the rebuttal of yours.

Let's use THIS thread of yours as an example.

I see you ask a lot of questions in your opening thread- no problem there as I do the same thing. But you might want to be more solid on your thoughts as well. It seems people want to see your conspiracy slant instead of just an introduction of questions for their opinions.

Then you say this: "Also, on the subject, I think that the government is keeping secrets from us."

It is a little too general. tell us why you think they are keeping secrets from us with specific examples. I think 99.9% of the members here believe the government is keeping secrets from us so all you would really hear in terms of feedback is, 'Oh ya- definitely.' But those posts aren't allowed here (one-liners and I-agree posts) so give some examples.

Hope I have been of some help.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
the only thing I can suggest is this: other people be damned. make threads / discuss topics that interest you. you joined ATS to learn... not to appease others.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by The Soothsayer

I agree. But I think he is frustrated with the fact 3 out of 4 of his conspiracy threads have zero replies. It's kind of hard to have a discussion about something he would like to discuss if he is just left talking to himself in the O.P. By all means, let the man start the topics he wants. I think he is trying to find out how to make the discussions more inviting so he can get more feedback. And therefore, create a real discussion.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Hello Frankidealist35, and welcome to ATS.

First to answer your question about creating threads to generate interest. What you should be concerned with first is individual posts. Work on that and when you can reply to a thread with an interesting point of view that people respond to, then you will be ready to start a new discussion with your own ideas.

You must first learn to walk before you can run.

I think I heard that from a Kung Fu episode somewhere.

Oh sorry, maybe that was something about a grasshopper.

Or was that wax on, wax off? No, that was the karate kid?

Ah, the memory is the first thing to go. My Apologies.

XL5

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I personally think that part of the reason your not getting much responce is due to the fact that alot of members here form some sort of ATS clique (i.e. if you don't do like we do, we ignore you). Most, if not all do it with no intent to be mean though.

If it follows some ideals that every on argees with, people might not reply. Now, if you have some SOLID "opinions" on 911, for or against, you'll get pages. Even if you have a 5 second long exposure of aircraft lights and claim it to be "PROOF!!!111!!!1" of ufo's, you'll get tons of replies. However, I see no value in that kind of post where its just pages of arguements between 5 people that never gets anywhere.

Posts that are about 911 just degrade into some form of arguement even if your on the fence about the issue. You need some form of "grabbing" topic title to get people in the door. "

The key things that get members to reply to your posts are: rape, beheading, PROOF (in all caps and a bunch of !!! for effect), sex, police, racisim, Islamic, death/doom. All the bad things that people like to moan and complain about will get the replies, its what the news papers have used to make money for a long time.

Sometimes you may get lucky and someone of "importance" will reply to your "non-grabbing" topic and then others will follow, it shouldn't be like that, but alot of the times it is.

My advice, get into a very visable and slightly heated arguement your on the fence about, make a bunch of civil posts disscussing the issue. Remain civil even if the other posters are not, then very respectfully back out in a very well mannered post. Then the other members may "like" you, but don't forget a colourful avatar thats somewhat original, it makes you stand out.

It was not like this when ATS was not as big as it is now.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Bashing the US, Bush or Cheney helps a lot

Also posting outrageous stuff about 9/11, how you got abducted by aliens and surgically looked at and how creationists/evolutionists are gullable gets lots of responces

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Hi,

I wouldnt worry to much, I also have threads with no or few replies but it doesnt bother me. No....really it doesnt....no, not a bit...ok, maybe a little. There are many reasons why this happens though so dont take it personally. Maybe try different areas of ATS or as other people said post topics of interest to you, it doesnt have to be current events.

Have a look on ATS at the threads with the most replies, they are usually well thought out, contain links, photos, info etc. For examples read anything by Mikesingh or Skyfloating just to give you an idea of what I mean.

It was the UFO forum that brought me to ATS but I rarely post there anymore, I think it takes time to see where you fit in on ATS and also dont forget BTS. I spend a lot of time over there too.

Anyway have fun and I will probably see you around,

Regards,

JQ.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I feel your pain - half the time I am talking to myself on this board!

I agree with AshleyD and Soothsayer. I would also add that it is really a good idea to read *a lot* of threads to see how the flow goes and to absorb the thoughts of other members. And, of course, to reply to their posts if you have something meaningful to add. Also, as someone said, use the search function to avoid duplicate posts.

Often a new member is very excited and has much to say as they feel like they have just won the lottery because they are lucky enough to find 1000's of like minded individuals with which to dsicuss important topics. The only problem is that there have been countless discussions on many topics before you joined.

Another thing to remember is that we are sometimes wary of newly joined members making many posts right out of the gate or who tend to latch on to one topic. We have found in the past that these types of posters often have an agenda and it is not to Deny Ignorance.

One last thing, even the most tenored and informed members often have posts with no replies. Marketing is everything, even in CT discussion forums.

But whatever you do...don't post for the points, it just brings down the board - post for the content.

[edit on 22/3/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Often a new member is very excited and has much to say as they feel like they have just won the lottery because they are lucky enough to find 1000's of like minded individuals with which to dsicuss important topics. The only problem is that there have been countless discussions on many topics before you joined.

[edit on 22/3/08 by kosmicjack]

This is the crux of the issue I think.

Its certainly the case for me as a newbie, i find that topics have been debated ad infinitum before i joined. It sort of makes me sad that i didnt join earlier!

However to address your problem, you have to find new angles on the same old topics. For example, in your thread "are we at war", you should try and find some unique selling point which will get people talking. Maybe you found some evidence that we arent at war, or maybe you have a theory surrounding how the media controls our opinions of war. Whatever the issue is, try and add your own perspective.

I think this thread itself that you have started shows that you have some insightful views. I mean, some people here seem to start thread after thread of the same rubbish. By even asking what makes a thread popular, you are one step ahead of them. Good job and welcome to the community!

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
try posting an inane question like "If you could *boink* anyone from all throughout time, who would you *boink*?"

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
My advice would be to get stuck in, because you can only learn to walk by making the effort.

Take a look at some of the threads you got more replies to - try to understand what made them different from the ones that you didn't.

Of course, it strongly depends on why you're making the thread - are you trying to spread information or are you trying to draw information into your thread?

If you're making a thread for discussion, make sure you declare it - because otherwise a lot of people will simply look at your thread and think "Huh.", instead of "Hey, this is a really exciting thread and i want to reply to one of the factors in this guy's reasoning".

But again, it depends on why you're making the thread.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by reject
try posting an inane question like "If you could *boink* anyone from all throughout time, who would you *boink*?"

Oh how i wish i could star this post.

On a more serious note- perhaps this is one of the topics that should be addressed in the introductions thread. New members would benefit from being given examples of good threads, and also threads which were not so good. Im sure Asala or Jak could show new members the way with this topic!

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hey I know this is off topic a lil but this is the thread in the forum that is getting recent replys.Two questions-1.What are points and how do I get um.2.How do I put a link to one of my threads in my signiture?thanks.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I'm pretty sure this would make people flock to your posts! For Sure!

Just start a thread about Tom Cruise. Anything controversial like that will make em flock to your post. That is why of all celebrities, you'll get the most spyware from visiting articles about him.

Otherwise just post something new and unusual and do what a good author does, and write well.

top topics

join