It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 200 arrested in U.S. antiwar protests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I don't think this has been posted yet, sorry if it has...

By Andy Sullivan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - More than 200 people were arrested across the United States on Wednesday as protesters marking the fifth anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq obstructed downtown traffic and tried to block access to government offices.

There were 32 arrests in Washington after demonstrators attempted to block entrances to the Internal Revenue Service, while 30 others were arrested outside a congressional office building, police said.

Source: Reuters

Now this is really getting on my nerves. Doesn't our constitution allow for the peaceful assembly and against things we feel are wrong in this government?

What these people did wrong was to block traffic and block access to a building. Throwing paint was another mistake that these peace protesters made. I am all for a peacefull protest but to mess up like this shows what lengths people are starting to go to to end this war and bring our kids back home.

Remember you don't have to support the war to support the troops.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I'm a little confused by your statements here as they seem to contradict. You state that this is really getting on your nerves and citing the right to protest and seem to be against the arrests. Then, in the second paragraph you cite the reason for their arrests, which was warranted IMO.

It should be common sense that it's illegal to block public offices and throw paint on a privately owned building. Perhaps these particular people were so blinded by their hatred for government that common sense was non-existent. Part of their punishment should be pouring paint all over some of their own possessions so that they can realize how idiotic they really are...but of course they'll get a slap on the wrist and sent back out to be idiots all over again.

[edit on 20-3-2008 by BlueTriangle]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

What I am angry about is these actions are really not arrestable crimes. These actions are just stupidity. In the article most were arrested for resisting arrest. Well you have a right to stand up for your rights. If you are protesting and a police officer comes to arrest you and you say "why?" that is all that is needed for a resisting arrest charge.

People that picket for a union block buildings all the time. They shout and taunt and heck even break windows of cars.

It's a protest people, sometimes when people are angry they do stupid things. Warn them first then and only then if they refuse to stop being an idiot then I can see an arrest. But 200 people? Cmon 200 people arrested? Something smells and it ain't the Potomic River.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

It was probably just as much of an effort to get the actual names of the "rabble" as it was to control their behavior. An added bonus for the PTB is to harass and intimidate any non-professional protesters who will be scared to death after many hours in county and so will not likely be as vocal in the future. So far, the anti-war movement has been pretty lame but at the five year mark people are starting to get it. I am sure the PTB are happy to have some names of people to add to their list of 900,000 trouble-makers, er...citizens.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
People need to start really getting the message out that we are fed up with this war and want it to end now. Bring the troops back home.

2/3 of Americans are against this war. It only takes 2/3 of the states to ratify an amendment to our constitution! We would have the power to ratify an amendment to our constitution but we cannot convince our government to stop this idiotic and expensive war? I know one thing I don't want to pick up the tab for it.

top topics

join