It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gas Price Crisis: 10 Cars That Cost More at the Pump

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Lately the news has been jam-packed with reports about soaring oil and gas prices. We all feel a little extra squeeze at the gas pump these days with the average gas price now up to almost $3.30 a gallon, and experts predicting the price of gas to top $4 per gallon in some states this summer.

Many people have decided to purchase smaller, more fuel efficient and environmentally safer cars. However, driving one of the 10 Cars With Surprisingly Bad Gas Mileage could end up costing you more at the gas pump. Even if you have a car that doesn’t get the greatest gas mileage, there are still simple measures you can take to save money on gas.

www7.insweb.com...

And the losers are:

10 Cars with Surprisingly Bad Gas Mileage
MPG City MPG Hwy
2008 Saab 9-7x Aero 12 16
2008 Jeep Wrangler 15 19
2008 Jeep Liberty 15 21
2008 Saturn Vue XE 15 22
2008 Pontiac G6 GT 15 22
2008 Mazda RX-8 16 22
2008 Mazda CX-7 16 22
2008 Volvo S80 16 24
2008 Pontiac Solstice 19 24
2008 Saturn Sky 19 24

Of course, YMMV.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by jsobecky]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Some of those you expect...

Like my Wrangler for instance..

But to imagine my Wrangler gets better mileage than a Saab is amazing!!!

And what is up with Saturn and Mazda? I thought they were traditionally known for good mileage...

This is a handy piece of information.

Semper

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The 2008 pontiac solstice GXP turbo can get over 38 mpg with an ecm tune. I know, I have one.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Those cars listed all categorically fall into the most fuel inefficient categories of vehicles.

And That happens to be SUVs and performance/sports cars.

I don't think V8 equipped Pickup Trucks would fare nearly as well either for that matter with city performance around 10 mpg.

As far as that SAAB, it wasn't your traditional SAAB of Sweden but the GM owned SAAB....and hence the poor mileage due to being equipped with a GM LS2 V8.

The GM standard approach using badge engineering and a GM V8, the same as used in the GM Trucks and had been intended to to create a high performance SAAB SUV to compete with the likes of the Acura MDX, BMW X5,Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, Porsche Cayenne Turbo ....etc.

Here's what Car & Driver had to say about this GM powered SAAB.

As truck-based mid-size SUVs become less and less relevant to consumers—let alone Saab buyers—Saab has resorted to the unthinkable to try to keep sales of its ill-conceived 9-7X alive: sticking a 6.0-liter LS2 V-8 with 390 horsepower and 395 pound-feet of torque under its long, non-clamshell hood. Yes, you're looking at none other than the Saab SS.....

www.caranddriver.com...

top topics

join