It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CCTV camera on Empire State Building?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
If it is a tv camera, just wondering if anyone knows what the purpose of having it 400 metres in the air is? Not to mention having to have a lot optical zoom, it would have to counter for the swaying of the building as well.

Original image here.

As far as I can tell from this diagram, it is located near the TV antennas below the 102nd floor observation deck.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I'm not entirely sure, but I'm wondering if it's for security in case someone was trying to tamper with the radio antennas...or worse, jump?

Such as this guy....

Suit Over Empire State Building Jump Try

This website says there are over 750 cameras in total in the Empire State Building, but doesn't specifically mention that one that I was able to tell from skimming the article.

Empire State Building Security

Michelle

[edit on 14-3-2008 by Michelle129]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Looks like a fairly generic camera housing, and is positioned to keep it out of wind-sheer.

I would guess its owned by a tv company for use for backdrops for news-shows, or by the met office. Other than that the only real practical use would be for a general toy for someone's nice penthouse suite.

If it was anything more than that, you would not see it, and at its height, its pretty useless for anything else. As for sway from the building, if its not zoomed, then thats not really much of an issue (hence the generic backdrops shot theory), its probably too small a housing to be stabilized.

So id say, owned by tv/radio station(s) one of which will also have a transmitter there. Its probably feeding a large display in a tv stations foyer and board-room as well.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
In fact, id hazard a guess, that if you can work out where the microwave dish below it points, you will probably find the answer to your question. Longish shot, but probably the best guess you'll get.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Ahh, the generic skyline background shot sounds like it's on the money. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Good thinking.

top topics

join