It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sometimes ats puts me in a really bad mood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
rant over

[edit on 14-3-2008 by scientist]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Or, instead of bitching about the T&C on a daily basis...(which must become boring after awhile)

...Im still waiting on your announced threads on hypnotism, the power of the eyes and similar stuff. I dont forget things.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I don't understand why this one area is so important to you.

And this is a privately owned site, not some government agency that needs to bend to the will of certain people.

especially when they are not violating any of the states terms of service / terms and conditions.

See, you lost me when you said that. The state has nothing to do with it. You joined and agreed of your own free will to abide by the terms and conditions of this site. Now you don't think it's fair that people expect you to live up to your promise, because you didn't know they really meant it?

You must be fun to do business with in the real world.

Now before you claim that I'm out of line because I'm a Moderator, this is just my opinion. I too have some issues about what can and cannot be discussed. But as an adult I agreed to the rules of this establishment, and I'm too honorable to whine about them when they infringe on my own desires.

I truly hope this rant gets your system cleared up, because in the past I have seen some really good posts made by you. It would be a shame for you to wither over such a minor thing as not getting your way in this matter.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
rant over

[edit on 14-3-2008 by scientist]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

There is no "cop out", this site has to pay for itself, and there is no way that it will if we get blocked by the net nannies of the world. That and it's pretty selfish to expect us to allow the discussion of ONE topic at the expense of the others.

As I've said a many times, we've been running ATS for ten years, we have learned through all that time that allowing the discussion of dope, no matter what limits we try to put on it, ends up with a boat load of stonealogs and very little of anything actually worth reading.

As I've also said many times, there is NOTHING stopping you from starting a site that discusses exactly what you want, we did and we don't have any "magic", just years of hard work and dedication.

You'll find though that your site will never achieve critical traffic mass because it's been blocked by the net nannies, et-al. THAT (the net nannies) is where your angst and frustration should be directed NOT at ATS.

In any case, the rules are the rules and we are getting VERY TIRED of constantly reiterating the obvious, having to defend why we do what we do in this specific topical area, we are people too and we frustrated just like you do.

Springer...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
well in that case, thank you for the explanation. I figured someone would finally admit that it's about sponsors, and not having a wider spread for "information." It's insulting when I'm told otherwise.

In fact, I'm back to homeostasis now.

I'll go back to ranting about baggy pants now.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
As time goes on, I have more and more respect for the way ATS, Springer, SO and that nice English guy set up and run this site.

It's not always easy to have to reel in a comment, but I've seen the wisdom in doing so, sometimes much later...

I've learned to play nicer and even to 'moderate' myself. I've learned alternate ways to get a point across.

Just as I learn every day when riding my bike that despite what any driver does to me, either purposely or accidentally, my mission is to ride my bike and to enjoy nature. Being distracted by that external force, being angered, wanting to chase them down and flip the bird are all MY issues, not anyone else's. I'm letting the external force control me. (Of course if I'm hit or I -must- react, that's a little different, but I go through channels.)

I've learned to control myself, to ride silent and deep - to be a picture of carbon fiber and lycra based stealth. My focus is on my inner being, my welfare and on seeing the beauty of the countryside.

Oh, and it's also on making myself hurt. Hurt really bad, as in bring tears to my eyes and sweat to my brow and searing to my lungs. Ah, yes. When I get home, I find I'm transformed for the better.

Likewise, being on ATS is helping the overall process of transforming me into the better self that I already am; if that makes sense. IOW, I ride, read, take vitamins, work on my health, learn and do all these things - it's a synergy. In ATS I express myself and my values through what I post. I try to post accurately and with compassion and with empathy. Some times I'm silly and goofy, but most of the time I like to think I'm contributing, even though I'm long winded. (sorry 'bout that)

2 cents.

PS, I also agree with Sky. Scientist has a lot of cool stuff to say. More of that, Sci, please.

[edit on 15-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Sometimes ATS frustrates me. Often it makes me question what I thought I knew. Thinking occurs.

I win.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Don't Worry it to much it will passed away here a music present for you because of to much has been said by many people here in ATS.

Cheer-up Pure & True Love Above All

[edit on 15-3-2008 by johnb1]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
ends up with a boat load of stonealogs and very little of anything actually worth reading.

Okay Springer now you're just making up words.

Looks as though Scientist was just venting (and in the appropriate venue!) and has retracted his post/complaint.

Inhale.......

Exhale.....

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
wrong topic

[edit on 15-3-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

You make that sound like a bad thing. One can make money and encourage discussion of most every topic under the sun. That's hardly evil.

So the owners of this site want to make money, oooh how dare they. They insist that we follow their rules, such fascists, I mean really...

Isn't there something less important for you to fuss about?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
I figured someone would finally admit that it's about sponsors, and not having a wider spread for "information."

Your assumption from an apparently incorrect read of Springer's words could be nothing further from the truth:

I direct you to our online media kit here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
And this important part that is made clear to all advertisers...

Editorial Considerations

The nature of the content and discussions on AboveTopSecret.com may be provocative at times. While a significant effort continually ensures the style and tone of discussions remain civilized and polite, the actual topics being discussed may not always suit every brand. We feel it is important to embrace and encourage productive free expression within intelligent and adult decorum. Brands who also support such an environment are surely going to benefit from the resulting perception. However, at no time will we accept editorial input, control, or guidance from an advertiser. Please contact us for additional details on our editorial policies.

With the exception of certain programming and HTML optimization, we have not now nor will we ever manage the content on ATS for the benefit of advertisers.

gunner36
It seems like it is more for making money then anything anymore, I am glad springer made that clear.

Unfortunately, the maintenance of a free website that has a 6+ gigabyte database, over 1.2 million monthly unique visitors, and delivers 7.3 terrabytes of monthly content is rather costly. Therefore, revenue is important.

Additionally, we've made it clear we're working hard to expand the reach of what our members post into broadcast radio, books, television, DVD's, and more. While this will greatly enhance the value of posting to ATS, which is our primary goal, these things also cost money to ramp up and get started.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by gunner36

Actually, the only threads that get shut down are duplicate threads and threads that break the T&C that the members agreed to follow when they signed up.

For the most part, the threads that get closed are still open to be read. The only ones that find their way into the ether are those that are of the more horrific T&C violations.

There are plenty of sites where you can talk about using drugs. Hell, there are sites that are set up for that sole purpose. you can have more than one site in your favorites. Come here for the alternative news, conspiracies etc, go there to talk about how to turn an apple and a stapler into some nifty new smoking apparatus.

I'm fairly sure you know of at least one other site where it is ok to discuss your drug use.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
thanks for the followups everyone.

btw, I am constantly insulted when you all assume I want to "post about using drugs."

It could not be further from the truth. I felt I needed to clarify that, since everyone seems to be pinning me as some type of drug user, or pothead (or "stonealog" I believe, lol).

I believe in freedom of religion too, but that doesnt mean I'm a fanatic, or a satanist. It just means I believe in freedom. Talking about something is not the same as endorsing or doing. Just to make that absolutely crystal clear.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by scientist]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
btw, I am constantly insulted when you all assume I want to "post about using drugs."

Look... I've made no secret that I think there are some really important issues that need to be discussed, especially as it relates to the highly profitable (for fed, state, and local governments) war on drugs. But the sad fact is, when we went there, several "bad things" happened that prevent the broader spectrum of topics from being noticed.

It is what it is.

top topics

join