It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed GI Bill reforms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

His enhanced GI Bill would be available to any member, active or reserve, who has served at least three months on active duty since Sept. 11, 2001. The level of benefits would be tied to length of service. The $1200 member buy-in under the current Montgomery GI Bill would be returned.

The bigger change would be in the value of benefits. Maximum benefits, earned for 36 months' active duty, would cover tuition for up to four years at a level to match tuition at the most expensive in-state public school. The average across states is about $1900 a month. MGIB pays $1100.

Webb's bill also would pay a monthly stipend to cover living expenses. The stipend would reflect local housing costs near school and would be set to equal military Basic Allowance for Housing for married enlisted in grade E-5.

That is a lot of money. BAH for a married E-5 is around $1200 a month on average, and with $1900 tuition thats over $3000 a month, equaling around $144,000.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Glad to see our troops are getting support that is not mere lip service for a change.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I think this is a great idea because if you look at the statistics (if anybody wants them I will try to look them up just U2U me so I know to post them) the amount of soldiers who go to school after the military is ridiculously low. Right now the current GI bill gives around $36,000 for school.

It's hard getting out of the military because going from a steady pay check to borrowing money for school is a difficult. A good amount of soldiers get married during their time in the service and supporting a family when giving up that steady pay check unless you have a good job to go to is next to impossible. Many military family's are attracted to $20,000 re-enlistment bonuses to make it by. Mostly the lower ranking members who have a tight budget already.

I know all to many soldiers who would like to leave the military when they have served their time but they don't because the military is just the best option they have to support a family. It's nice to have the GI bill to help getting out of the military but $36,000 just isn't going to do the trick. Now the military has an option to pass the GI bill to a family member like such as a spouse which will work with the income of the soldier but that's not going to help soldier planning on leaving the military.

It's almost like a thanks for serving your country and now your trapped kind of deal.

join