It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Case of Illinois Mother on Trial for Leaving Child in Car for Minutes Sparks Debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Case of Illinois Mother on Trial for Leaving Child in Car for Minutes Sparks Debate

www.foxnews.com

Treffly Coyne was out of her car for just minutes and no more than 10 yards away.

But that was long and far enough to land her in court after a police officer spotted her sleeping 2-year-old daughter alone in the vehicle; Coyne had taken her two older daughters to pour $8.29 in coins into a Salvation Army kettle.

Minutes later, she was under arrest — the focus of both a police investigation and a probe by the state's child welfare agency.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This country is getting out of hand. First of all, it was sleeting outside at the time. The car was not 120 degrees, and the children were not at risk for dehydration.

I think this lady, and everyone else who is being overly harrassed or spied on by government officials, needs to file a lawsuit.

Many people here talk about getting their guns ready. Sure, that's an option, but I've got my lawyers ready. If any of this stuff happens to me, I'll see them in the courtroom.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Where are all the police state haters on this one?

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This story was posted on ATS or PTS (I don't remember which) about a month or more ago--that's probably why you haven't got that many responses.

Sure, the woman left her infant unattended in the car for only a few minutes, if that long. That doesn't seem like a crime or even serious neglect.

Still, the policewoman who arrested her had recently dealt with other cases of young children being left alone in cars and she was fed up with it. IMO, she was only doing her job and I am glad there are such laws to protect children.

The law was unecessarily overzealous in this case, but I wouldn't want them to ignore cases of children left unattended in cars just because they might have a lawsuit in this instance.

[edit on 12-3-2008 by Sestias]

top topics

join