It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At the mountains of Madness...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Rumours abound that Guillermo del Toro MIGHT be up for doing At The Mountains Of Madness after Hellboy II. Personally, after seeing his work, this seems damn fine.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Sounds like something for 2011 (gee that looks strange to type that).

Lovecraft tale to be made

Adapting Lovecraft's unique style to the movies has proven to be a difficult undertaking for filmmakers in the past, but the helmer says that he's enhanced At the Mountains of Madness' story (about an expedition to Antarctica that turns creepy fast) so that it will work on screen.

"The albino penguins, the gigantic city… The hard thing about that novel is it's very much a record of an expedition, so the narrative is brilliant in that it's a little bit dry but it's not character-based," he says. "There are many characters that you don't know — you don't even know who the hell the expedition is [made up of] until you have it referenced in another book of Lovecraft's."

Fleshing out those characters will be key to making the film work, he explains.

I love seeing discussons by del Toro, where he talks about his work and his methods and insights. Even his dialect and speaking style is fun, a delicious feast for the ears.

Now in post-production, this sounds like fun:

IMdB

Splice (2009)
Elsa and Clive, two young rebellious scientists, defy legal and ethical boundaries and forge ahead with a dangerous experiment: splicing together human and animal DNA to create a new organism. Named "Dren", the creature rapidly develops from a deformed female infant into a beautiful but dangerous winged human-chimera, who forges a bond with both of her creators - only to have that bond turn deadly.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
weet, I sa a rough-draft script treatment for the first 1/4 or so of the story, I'll try and dig out the link - it looked really good. Del Toro's the man for the job, remember the leviathan space creatures from Hellboy??? I just hope he can get Ron Perlman on board, playing somme gnarly old sea captain perhaps???

Ia!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Here's a synopsis of the original Lovecraft

Also, you can select the format and download a free ebook of that work.

I like what del Toro says about 'Negative Space' in that previous interview.

Here's an example of the concept of negative space in a scene I cobbled together using a familiar movie:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Awesome! I dug this thread up and can't say I knew about the film coming out or Del Toro directing. Thanks for the post. I think all of del Toro's films are good and some are great - he truly is, if not the best, one of the best true "film makers" today. He does everything and is incredible in detail. I can't imagine how demanding it would be to make a film like Pan's Labrynth or any other. Thanks again for the post. I leave with the lullaby from Pan's to some clips (not my making):
Edit to add: HP Lovecraft rocks.

ColoradoJens

[edit on 26-10-2008 by ColoradoJens]

top topics

join