It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Because of this video, this will be my last post on ATS.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
OMG, INTERNET CRASH!!!
this isn't really a prediction, but it is a conclusion i've made that i think needs to be discussed. this video has led me to conclude that because man created the internet, it can't be perfect. it is a weakness. we created it for our benefit........take it away, we lose a tool many of use on an everyday basis. but it's not real life.

Case changed to lower

ABOUT ATS: General ATS discussion etiquette

[edit on 9/0308/08 by neformore]

[edit on 9/0308/08 by neformore]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Because all the servers are stationed world wide I do not believe we will experience a total crash of the internet. Of course internet isn't perfect... it never was and never will be but a total close down of it is impossible in my eyes.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by sumperson
WE CREATED IT FOR OUR BENEFIT........TAKE IT AWAY, WE LOSE A TOOL MANY OF USE ON AN EVERYDAY BASIS. BUT IT'S NOT REAL LIFE.

The internet was created for our benefit, mainly information processing, allowing us to speed up our lives, shop and research. Point being it is most peoples lives, millions of people work on the internet, is their job real?

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
....for those not 'getting it' -- this is a satirical joke, via The Onion:

www.theonion.com...

Related 'news' story:
"Factual Error Found On Internet"

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by sumperson

I dont see what the problem is, people just need to balance their lives between the internet world and the real world.

Whats the big deal. Hope you dont leave because of this video...thats crazy.

Regards,

JQ.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

The internet was created by the Department Of Defense in order to create a communication network that could continue even throughout nuclear warfare.

Yeah, cool idea huh. Thinking ahead we where.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Another star for you, sumperson.

Do you know if there's any more word on this Tipton johnny? Does anyone know if he was in cahoots with al-Qaeda?

Edit to add:

[edit on 9-3-2008 by Astyanax]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Hehehehe, The Onion...funny stuff. I'm sitting about 30 feet from Root Server A right now...work in the datacenter it's housed in.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The internet? What is it? Well in my personal point of veiw it is the Library of alexandria in its newest phase.
The internet holds everything we know up to right now.. And even some things that are beyond our knowledge at this point..

But do know that the internet will fall the same fate as Library of alexandria in a sense.. However you can not burn down the internet..
But there are forces out there that can take it down permantly if they get the power to do so.

In my POV this isnt the first time humans have had this kind of knowledge at their fingertips. Look at Mars, and other places outside our own solar system. Surely all this "new" tech that has come out has been around for a long long time in the bigger picture!

What we see as the furture is but the past for many life forms all over this universe.. We are just getting caught up to the past..

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yes, it was a satirical joke, but I hope someone in the right place takes notice.

WE NEED TO BACK UP THE INTERNET BEFORE IT HAPPENS FOR REAL...

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Was thinking about this recently - having 'Net vs not.

Back in the early 80s my days were just as full. Read a lot, physically went to the library, watched TV, browsed book stores, read two newspapers every day.

On the PC, I read, look at .pdfs, and write things. But without the 'Net connection, it takes some adaptation.

Most people have plenty of DVDs, things to read, VCR and tapes for the TV, but when power goes out, like after bad weather, there is a feeling of isolation. Usually I take a nap, haha.

So, for me, lack of 'Net is mildly distracting, mostly b/c I'm not sure what's going on - is it my ISP, or my telephone line (wife forgot to pay bill?) or what.

If PC and TV are still on and I know the 'Net is off, no big deal.

There is a big difference between having, essentially, a 'dumb' terminal and being connected, even if it's just bulletin boarding or using a shell account.

Most agencies have backup plans and practice them, but banking and other things would slow to a crawl, I think. So the worry is less the individual user than businesses and banks.

Backing up the 'Net is kinda pointless. It's not the data, as in websites like ATS, it's the connectivity.

That's why I think it's pointless and even retarded to read that IBM wants to host the 'whole internet' on some giant multi processor machine. You need the network and the massively distrib parallel hub structure.

2 cents.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Hilarious video! Thanks for pointing it. Of course, most people won't realize the whole depth of the joke. The internet is contained on thousands, millions of computers and servers around the globe. You can't back it up. If it shut down, the information would all still be there when it restarted.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
if u base your life on the onion, then you deserve the bad lucky headed your way

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Let me make my point clear. If you watch the video then you will remember the part when the internet user says something like, "oh my god dude.....all my blogs got erased....I feel like my life has no meaning!!!

I just think I'm going to stop posting things because I would also kind of be angry and hurt if all my threads were deleted by ATS because the internet happened to fail for 5 minutes. It will happen eventually because it can be done easily if a terrorist just gets their hands on a pc with Internet access.

So no more posts for me.....I'm just gonna read posts, not make em.
It's my god given choice.

PEACE.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
you do know that onion is a parody news show right?

I really hope you know that's not a real news cast.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

heres another from the same user.
kind of lets ya know how credible it is.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Uh, you do know you can 'save' html on your PC and then back that up on your USB 500 gig drive, right?

I had one site that I was concerned was going to ban me, and I did that to the posts I had. (I didn't get banned, but they started being mean to me for no reason, thinking I looked at the user list and slowed down their site. Truth is, I only looked once, but it happened to be the time when the site owner checked that day. I mean big deal, how would I know looking at a user list would slow the freaking site down??)

Now, if you've made 1000+ posts, it might be good to start archiving them, maybe a few each day. 100 per day would only take 10 days...

Just store them in a directory and you're golden.

Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

Just store them in a directory and you're golden.

Just a thought.

Yes unless a comet hits the earth and all computers are nocked out with the EMP ripple effect caused by a comet hitting earth

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Potentially the greatest learning tool available to humankind ever, knowledge at the touch of a button - I use it for looking at boobies.

Somebody recently posited that we're getting close to the day when something such as the Sims is going to be developing autonomous characters, that may well have "thoughts" and "feelings" - now I play a couple of online games and feel a responsibility to the little dudes in my virtual village, I am like a god to them, I treat them well and they worship me as the god I am (not a false idol/idle).

...the advent of the web age has brought us all closer together (virtually) how else would I have had the opportunity to try "sexy-chat" with a sweaty trucker, who's pretending to be a 20 y/o hottie? Perhaps I should get out more, try some real interaction, but that's scary. I don't want to leave my house anymore, especially not if I've watched the news in the past month (sic).

I'm virtually 2d now, with the jaded, listless, sexual-appetite of a 50 year old Colonel.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
All kidding aside...

A website is housed on a server.
Servers are just computers that are more powerful than home PCs.

Sites like ATS have a backup protocol in place that saves their data to a protected storage. That way, if something happens to the live site they can restore without much down time. The only things that would be lost is whatever had been placed on the site between the last backup and the time the problem occurred. Backups are usually done on a daily basis, but can be done more frequently.

I've seen forums go down. They're usually back up the next day and are back to normal very quickly.

The Internet, by design, is a very resilient construct. Remember that it was DARPA that came up with the concept. There isn't any centralized control system. Any two computers can communicate to each other without much if any assistance as long as there is a data path and a data path isn't written in stone. Each packet of data can take a different path. It really doesn't make much difference. There are a lot of safeguards built into the technology.

The worst thing I can think of happening would be a wide spread virus attack but that's not very likely. Virus scanners prevent a malicious program from wrecking too much havoc. An infection might get to quite a few computers before it’s detected, but they’re usually taken care of pretty quickly.

@Sumperson
At first, I thought this was a joke but since you sounded fairly serious in your posts I figured I'd add a little comforting information. I haven't followed your posts, so I'm not sure of how much you've contributed to the site but I encourage you to continue posting. ATS needs a wide variety of people contributing in their own way in order to make the most of our resources. If you feel your contribution is worth enough to make you want to stop posting out of fear of losing it if something happens to the web then doesn't that say that your contribution is valuable? Why withhold that contribution from the other members?

[edit on 15-3-2008 by LazyGuy]

top topics

join