It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-war judge rejects foster teen's bid to join military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Anti-war judge rejects foster teen's bid to join military

www.dailynews.com

In denying the Royal High School student delayed entry into the Marine Corps, Children's Court Commissioner Marilyn Mackel reportedly told Sage and a recruiter that she didn't approve of the Iraq war, didn't trust recruiters and didn't support the military.

"The judge said she didn't support the Iraq war for any reason why we're over there," said Marine recruiter Sgt. Guillermo Medrano of the Simi Valley USMC recruiting office.

"She just said all recruiters were the same - that they `all tap dance and tell me what I want to hear.' She said she didn't want him to fight in it."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
How can this be justified? This judge is against the war so now he is going to impose his own views onto this teen who want to join the marines? Im not sure how this is legit.

www.dailynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I'm just glad someone told those marine recruiters where to go.

One of them came into my job a few years ago. He pretended to be an interested client and then when he got me to the side started talking to me about "my future".

I gave him the million reasons I didn't want to join (I wouldn't join in times of peace either), and the last one was, "My girlfriend would kill me if I went to Iraq. Being away from her, plus it's so dangerous."

Want to know his response:

"3,000 (rounded number close to what he said) people died in traffic accidents this year alone in North Carolina. I'd say it's just as safe in Iraq as it is here."

The sad part is, somebody might actually buy that. Statistics can awe people in the right situation.

It was unreal. My jaw dropped when he said it, and he knew it was over.

[edit on 7-3-2008 by Sublime620]

CX

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
My mum was'nt keen on me wanting to join bomb disposal when i was going through the careers office routine at the age of 15.

I was polite about it, but told her that if she did'nt sign the consent papers then i'd just go when i was 18. Then theres the feelings of resent towards your family for stopping what you want to do.

It's wrong that the judge should impose rulings based on her own views, but then again i can't understand why this has gone to court, if the lad is 17, why not just wait a year, carry on with the USMC training as he's been doing, and do it of your own back without the need for consent?

CX.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620

Want to know his response:

"3,000 (rounded number close to what he said) people died in traffic accidents this year alone in North Carolina. I'd say it's just as safe in Iraq as it is here."

[edit on 7-3-2008 by Sublime620]

Wow

They will say anything and everything. Recruiters are a low to an already low. And by that I mean the marine recruiters are worse then most ive seen. I have heard some funny stories from friends. I personally havn't had many approach me. I can imagine they know before hand that I am a no go haha.

Anyways, that was a good laugh, thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I think the judge was just using good judgment

Probably felt the recruiter(s) had thrown some shady tactics on the minor in order to get him to join. Judge probably was forcing the kid to wait a year.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
No different then a parent saying no....

That kid can do what he wants when he turns 18.

I mean if the judge ruled the other way the headline of this thread would be,

"Court uses foster kids as fodder for war"

[edit on 8-3-2008 by C0le]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
I mean if the judge ruled the other way the headline of this thread would be,

"Court uses foster kids as fodder for war"

So true.

From OP's article

Shawn Sage long dreamed of joining the military, and watching "Full Metal Jacket" last year really sold him on becoming a Marine.

This statement clearly shows us this kid has not matured yet. The title of a movie that sold USMC to him should be "98 reasons why you shouldn't join the Marines." (the other two are "I was drafted" and "I'm a psycho").

This kid totally missed the point of "Full Metal Jacket". Or maybe he wants to be Animal Mother or private Joker, because everybody else dies.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
the judge, for once, was doing his job...
when a kid becomes a foster kid, the state becomes the parent...they are responsible for this kid till he turns 18, much like you are for your kids...

if my kid came to me telling me they want to join the service before they were old enough to be considered an adult, I would tell them no!
war is the game of old men, let the old men fight it, not kids who aren't old enough not to need the state managing their lives!

new topics

top topics

join