It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brown condemns abuse of uniforms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Brown condemns abuse of uniforms

news.bbc.co.uk

Gordon Brown has condemned reports that RAF personnel from a Cambridgeshire base have been told not to wear uniform in public after being verbally abused.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The british govt. doesn't treat its arm forces well - under paid - over worked - lack of equipment, poor pension, not looked after well if injured....never mind about joe public.... time for british troops to come home....

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
The British troops are doing their job and deserve the utmost respect and gratitude of the British people.

Military parades for homecoming miltary personnel are on the increase; this suggests an upsurge in respect for Armed Forces, and rightly so.

If there is discontent about our presence in The Middle East then dissension should be directed at the government, not military personnel.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Diagreeing with a war is one thing (and i disgree with it alot since to me its the biggest farse of the 21st cent)

but then again i wouldnt go that low and blame the people that signed up for a job and doing what their job discription says and not the ones to doing the ordering.

these people should vent their anger on the real people who start the things they disagree with, and thats the polititions
who send these people out there in harms way for the political agendas

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
As an American living in the UK I have to say iI am shocked at the treatment and general attitude displayed to the British forces. I actually live in Aldershot which is home to the Army.

I vehemenently disagree with the war. I do however show nothing but the upmost respect to the armed forces.

It kind of pisses me off that the media here is insinuating that people who disagree with war are the ones to blame. I will bet my month's salary that the real culpirts are a bunch of binge drinking, lazy British teenagers with nothing better to do then hang around the fronts of shops.

I support the troops.

I hate the war.

I can do both, proudly.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

Amen

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Surely we have the right to disagree or agree with anything....

Not everybody wanted this wretched war, not everybody agrees with military action...

And not all soldiers deserve respect... a uniform is not a one way ticket to respect...

It's a tricky one.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Yes, some individuals within the Armed Forces disgrace the uniform they wear.
These individuals get punished accordingly.
To abuse people merely for being in Military Service is ignorant.

I have never unconditionally supported our Foreign Policy in the Middle East, (or anywhere else for that matter), but I would never disrespect an individual for being in the Armed Forces.

They deserve our respect and support.

The government are responsible for determining foreign policy, they are the one's who should be held accountable.

[edit on 7-3-2008 by Freeborn]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I agree, it's the pen pushers who are responsible....
The soldiers are just mere pawns on the chessboard.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

The vast majority of our Armed Forces conduct themselves with immense dignity.
They perform their duties with the upmost professionalism.
Our government treat them appalingly and supplies only the minimum equipment / support etc to enable them to perform their duties.
That they continue to perform these duties to the standard that they do, commanding immense respect from Military personnel from other countries, is a measure of these people.
They deserve our regard and respect.

That our government should be continuing to persue policies that endanger the lives of our servicemen and women whilst continually denying them the correct equipment to carry out these duties is reprehensible.
Someone should be held accountable and charged with causing death through criminal negligence.

It is imperative that the Armed Forces are apolitical and continue to operate outside of party politics.
That is not to say that governments should not be held accountable for the deployment of the Armed Forces.
Governements have used and abused the Military for far too long.

If a black person is verbally abused in the street for being black it is racism and thus regarded as a criminal act. And rightly so!
If a Muslim is verbally abused in the street for being a Muslim it is religious bigotry and thus regarded as a criminal act. And rightly so!
Therefore, isn't an act of verbally abusing a Military person for being a member of the Armed Forces also an act of bigotry and should be regarded as a criminal act?

new topics

top topics

join