It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jedimiller's Cloverfield review 2008.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I’m guilty. Guilty of paying to see this horrid film. Can I get my money back? I feel into the hype. In class there was someone who said that I should see this movie. For what reason I don’t know. I think I’d rather watch an old Godzilla film than this. Even before the film began I started feeling sick, motion sickness.
The film is a spin-off of Godzilla films. Starts out with the group at a party and then the monster invading the city. The camera follows the invasion and it’s handheld by the protagonist’s friend. Apparently, he’s not very good with a camera. We learn this from the film. Yes, there are some good scenes in there, but overall the film is just an excuse to show terrible shots.
Now, the film does have some metaphorical messages and undertones. It’s basically about fear. Fear of terrorism. The monster represents the terrorists and the group of teenagers represent the American public who have no clue of the situation. The monster itself looks like a giant walking squid.
The movie explains nothing on the arrival of the monster or why it’s there. He just shows up for no apparent reason and starts killing the humans in New York city. I assume the monster hates America because the first thing he does is take down the statue of liberty. Maybe he’s a French guy who decided to take it back and cut it’s head off. Come to think of it, the monster could represent the US government. George W. Bush. But I think that’s reaching.
The shots are fast, dark and moving. Long shots primarily and then some close ups. I think the idea of the movie was to make the viewer sick, as to understand the emotions of the characters in the movie; and if that was the case, well I suppose the intention did work. Other than that, the film was a waste of my time. Perhaps I should have spent that money on a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
:w:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Maybe you should have used that money on a book about racism, raising kids, the basics about digital film, egyptian gods, how to move in to your own apartment before turning 40, genes, god is not great ( by Christopher Hitchens ), The god delusion ( by richard Dawkins ), hairloss is not a desiease, Obama not being a terrorist or maybe just a cartoon. the last one would suit you good i think..

Btw: and yes, the film sucked..

[edit on 5-3-2008 by tep200377]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I thought the film rocked !! even my 10yr old son loved it and understood it without a problem !!

Now we want a sequel !!

So you hated it....big deal. I never follow someones review and your no different. Some films you actually have to think while watching.

yea the jerky camera was sometimes a bother.....but I got over it and saw past it.

It is NOT a rip-off of Godzilla films..it was a whole new take on the giant monster theme.

So what if they never told you where it came from or what it was.....that is part of the mystery. Why is it when someone sees a film that all questions must be answered in the film......life is full of mysteries...so are films.

out of a 1 - 10 scale I would rate it a solid 9.

jedimiller......maybe you should go see "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day" or "Penelope". I would bet those will give you all the answers you need.

JSR

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Alpha Grey

I would have to agree here.

I went to this film not really expecting much. my wife gave me the day off from the house. couldn't find anything to do, so I went to the movies. this was the only one that was showing at the time.

the opening of the film was a bit weird and different. but, once I got the the basic flow of it, it was a good story to follow. I was surprised. it was a decent scare-ya type of film.

if your a cynical type of person, why do you even go to movies? its an escape. its not perfect. just sit back and enjoy the ride.

if you like Blair Witch, you'll like this movie

top topics

join