It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wind farms could drive bird species to extinction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

WASHINGTON -- More than 60 years after it was pushed to the edge of extinction, one of North America's rarest birds, the whooping crane, faces new danger from environmentally-friendly wind farms, conservationists warned.
News Source

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hmmmm "environmentally-friendly wind farms" This seems not so friendly though

And

a "clean" energy source that is key in the fight against global warming.

At the end, this goes back to the global warming issue.

Would human being come to extinction like these other species?

[edit on 4-3-2008 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Hi Searching for truth, I would just like to say that I personally have a wind generator, set it up myself and have dealt with many different systems. They pose absolutely less than 1% of a threat if any at all to any birds. That is just something a group of people against the wind generators made up to scare people. (ex. The hydro and oil companies who are scared of loosing consumers)

The blades of a wind generator move in such a way that even if a bird were to fly into one they would not die. Most larger generators move at a speed of less than 3km/h and birds can maneuver over or around them easier than directly into them.

I have to say that a freshly cleaned window or airplane pose more of a threat to a bird than any wind generator. Not to mention birds much like all animals are scared of what they don't know so they pretty much steer clear of the generator anyway.

Not to mention Germany and Holland have more wind generators than any other country and they have never had any problems with birds yet.

sty

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
the birds can adapt to wind-farms better than adapting to CO2 farms . Ntherlands got windmills since 15 th century , and they still got birds..

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Yeah! and look at where the wind is blowing, it seems that they want to introduce a new & better product. They also included the global warming issue.

I hope that this is not some sort of a marketing strategy.

Stehn said conservation groups and the wind energy industry are in talks to find a solution that would be good for birds while also boosting the amount of power Americans get from wind, a "clean" energy source that is key in the fight against global warming.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If these people are truly scared for the lives of the birds then they can waste the time and money on creating a safety cage around the generators to protect them. However like previously mentioned the birds will adapt to the wind generators much like you adapt to the all but silent "whir" of the refrigerator.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
As far as i see, skyscrapers with huge glass surface and electric power poles are more problematic to the birds then wind power generators. However less people will profit on this power source then,say on oil or gaz. And,g-d forbid, this source is availble to general population.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
My point exactly, The ones making these statements are only fearful that these resources are going to hurt their already fat pockets. They don't want you to buy these products so they scare you into thinking you are going to kill birds.

The reality of the fact is that these companies have killed more species of anything through pollution and greed than every wind generator combined in the entire world.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
In my opinion this endangering bird scenario is total BS. They'll say anything to keep us from having free renewable energy that causes no pollution. What they should tell you is how many animals die from the pollution caused by coal plants, radiation from nuclear plants, and how many fish and animal species are killed from damming and hydro plants.

Wind is one of the best solutuions available and there are no cranes where I live in the Northeast US but there is plenty of wind.

Another argument I have heard against Wind power - especiallly beacuse it can be harnessed by the individual - is that it is noisey and it would violate noise ordinance.
Well apparently they have near silent wind generators now.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
A wind generator makes as much noise as the "Buzzing" of your refrigerator, I bet most of you do not even notice that anymore. Much like the birds you have adapted.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Hydro is a comparable resource to wind, in my opinion, but the positioning must be very cautious to avoid endangering various species. The creation of a lake vs. having the river doesn't always reduce diversity per se, and may help certain animals in some cases. I also do not agree on the "bad effects" of nuclear power... in my opinion the tiny danger these plants present is over-hyped to the MAX. Russia and other countries have tons of nuclear plants without even a hiccup.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Uh, since this warning is coming from conservationists... the people who are protecting the birds themselves, how does this involve the oil companies?
I must be an idiot for not seeing it...

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Well because if someone is "denial" of anthropogenic global warming, or opposes alternative power sources for any reason (no matter how good it is) they must be accepting bribes from the oil companies. Everyone knows that. Get with the program, dude.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SlyCM

The Kennedy's are all for the green movement, proved it doesn't interfere with their landscape. They didn't make any deals with the oil companies, they're just spoiled rick kids. Something similar here. People in PETA and other groups often go overboard when it comes to securing animal writes. THis could be a similar instance. besides, if they are for the conservation of these species, working hard for it, which is not a field you go into for the money, why suddenly abandon it for cash?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Of course I am not voicing my real opinion in that last post... only my sarcastic one.
Hence the "wink" smiley.

[edit on 5-3-2008 by SlyCM (work)]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This is one of those stories that goes into the "anything to get published" bin. These wind turbines are enormous. They stand hundreds of feet tall. If they doom a bird to extinction chances are the dumb bird was doomed long before that because it would have died flying into trees, buildings, etc. These wind turbines are visible for miles away. They don't sneak out from behind a tree and say to the bird "gotcha!"

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Have you ever been to a wind farm? I have visited several, on a few different continents. One thing I can tell you for certain, is that I have never seen a pile of dead birds near a wind farm. I have never seen even a single bird kill due to wind farms.

This whole idea is nonsense probably dreamt up by oil executives.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SlyCM (work)

I figured you were, but even jokes get taken seriously. But I'm being seriouse here. The main people complaining are the ones trying to protect the birds, apparently in short term kinda way. This looks more like over prtecting or it's going up where someone's view will be spoiled. But not because oil companies will loose.

top topics

join