It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BlackJack The Goldfish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
As many of you know I am a huge fan of Aquariums. I've always had one since I was a kid. Currently I am into Reef Tanks. Tons of corals, polyps, clams, crabs, and some fish. I love it.

Anyway a little while back I bought my son a basic 10 gallon starter set. It comes with everything you need to get started. We set it up and went out and bought 3 goldfish. He named them BlackJack, Goldy, and Bruce. I have to tell you, he doesn't do a bad job! Put's a little too much food in frequently which keeps the nitrate level too high, but that's what water changes are for.

This morning I'm in brushing my teeth and he comes up and says "Daddy, BlackJack is stuck to the filter." So we go down and yep, BlackJack has passed. I retrieve him, and my boy says "Is he going to Goldfish heaven now?"

"Yes he is Buddy."

"Why did he die Daddy?"

"Sometimes fish just get sick and die."

"Can I pet him?"

"Sure you can Dude."

So he takes the tiny little fish from my hand and holds him. He pets it and says "Goodbye BlackJack. I'll miss you."

We then take him to the john and flush him.

"Daddy, is god going to take care of him? Will he be happy?"

"Yes, buddy."

"Can we feed Bruce and Goldy now? I think they're hungry."

"You got it little dude."

In a world so complex, it amazes me how having something as simple as a goldfish tank can teach not only how to sustain life due to care, but can teach death as well.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
That's a pretty cool post there actually, I like it.

Simple little things I guess do play a big part in how we learn basic things in life as we're growing up.

And yeah, aquariums are cool. I had one when I was a teenager that Mama bought me, it was a 10 gallon too. She sank a pile of money in that thing, we couldn't ever manage to keep it clean though. I like watching the fish swim around though, aquariums are neat.

new topics

join