It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a shoutout to ATS muslims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
This is mostly a shout out to ATS muslims and questions are just directed at them
but anyone can post here

do you show everyone here that you are a muslim?

what do you think of the Topics and posts on ATS that directly attack muslims, example where a poster talks about killing all Muslims (there are few out there)

do you think as a muslim its your duty to show a positive view of our faith to others. i have seen in the past two members who claim to be muslim but have shown total arrogance to others.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
i have seen in the past two members who claim to be muslim but have shown total arrogance to others.

I hope you weren't talking about me there.

do you think as a muslim its your duty to show a positive view of our faith to others.

Yeah, sure. One of my first posts on ATS was to clear misconceptions people had about regular muslim folk during the Cartoon Riots. But since then it almost seems like I'm fighting and uphill battle or talking to the wall... it feels like what's the point? I've got better things to do than get frazzled arguing with bigots who've already made up their minds.

As for your other question: do you show everyone here that you are a muslim?

Not all the time. It really depends on the general mood and direction of the thread. If people there are just out for blood what's the point? (see talking to a wall) If there are relatively okay people with apparently genuine queries and seem to genuinely want to understand better, sure. If it doesn't apply at all to the thread subject matter, then there is no need either.

what do you think of the Topics and posts on ATS that directly attack muslims, example where a poster talks about killing all Muslims (there are few out there)

I just observe and take note. Those sort of threads tend to drive the bigots out of the woodwork. Is it bad that I have a dossier on them? Make it easier to ignore those people in the future.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

that wasnt aimed at you, and i am shocked that you would think that

i know what you mean when it comes to certain topics some people dont care about other faiths and some have openly admited that they prefer not to learn about another faith before judging it.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
OK, for the record I am not Muslim. I am a god fearing man, and wear a cross around my neck. I don't know how many here are old enough to remember, but when Kennedy was approaching his Presidential status there was a huge backlash of fear claiming 'The Pope is going to run this country! We can't have a Catholic in office!'
Fear is a funny thing. It is human nature to fear what you don't understand. The Muslim community right now is the group of choice who is feared. Why? Because, there are alot of horrible acts against humanity committed by Muslims who brag about their atrocities while they praise allah and the Quran in their next breath. Alot of these events are highly publicized.
Does that mean I think all Muslims commit these acts, or even condone them? NO. No I don't.
I happen to be Italian. Yep, both sides came from Italy. Do I act like Tony Soprano and his boys? Do my friends? Nope. But I do say Bada Bing alot. There are alot of people who make comments when my boys and I are together. Yeah we look the part. We have names like Vinnie, Tony, Frank, and Joey. Oh and David - who looks the part, but wears a Star around his neck. We don't really care what others think.

Back on topic. I think it's great that you show your pride in being Muslim. I'm not afraid of you due to whom you decide to worship. In my book, you're either cool or your not. What I would love to see is someone creating an education of the Muslim culture for those of us who are not. All we see and hear is the bad. Show us the good, as it outweighs the bad many times over.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

i have tried and gave up on that on many occasions.
i had made a topic to show none muslims what things mean in Islam but that was turned into a mud sling match and went down a diffrent path

hence why i have let that topic die.

so trying to make posts and topics on that can be very hard when you have members out there that will do anything to show their agenda even if it means posting and editing stuff to suit them and their views.

thanks for your input

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Not to mention the positive news often gets ignored.
This was recently posted on the news forum:
Turkey in Radical Revision of Islamic Texts

Crickets are chirping.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Hey bodrul!

do you show everyone here that you are a muslim?

Not explicitly in every post, no, but if someone went through all my posts, they would probably realise it. Sometimes such information is irrelevant to the other person (like if I post in a Christian themed thread, correcting something someone said that I perceive to be an incorrect accusation levelled at christianity, mentioning that I'm a muslim will just muddy the waters).

I have enough faith in the average person to expect them to see such posts for what they are: idiocy.

do you think as a muslim its your duty to show a positive view of our faith to others. i have seen in the past two members who claim to be muslim but have shown total arrogance to others.

I show what I know to be the only view, though some may not like it. It's got to the point where people have expressed appreciation for my input, and it may just be stroking my ego, but that makes it makes me happy to know that people are listening

new topics

top topics

join