It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

something holding me down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Has anybody else out there woken up in the middle of the night and been completely paralyzed? It happens to me quite often usally around 2 or 3 am, I can't move at all can't even lift my head and the only way i get out of it is to try and go back to sleep. Does anyone know if this is paranormal activity or just a figment of my imagination?

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It's a brain function to prevent the body from injuring itself during sleep. Common sleep paralysis most likely.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
yea but the thing is i'm not asleep, when it happens i have to try and fall asleep again

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Happened to me once during stressfull exams. Woke up and couldn't move/open eyes. Till now i think that i was half-dreaming because i still could see(probably thought that i could see) the room in greenish/greyish colors, however i was totaly aware of myself. Took me a lot of effort just to open my eyes but after that it all passed. Doc told me that it was due to stress.
Maybe this is the reason in your case too, maybe it is something else.
Anyway, good luck.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

I know, the brain wakes up, but the bodies nervous system is in a sort of hibernation. If you haven't been asleep for long it's cool to try to force movements because they'll eventually come. It's unnerving if you've been in deep sleep for hours and you can't "turn your body on".

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
this was something i posted recently. it was the most aggressive attack through sleep paralysis ive ever had.

posted on 26-2-2008 @ 08:03 AM
my sleep paralysis experience this morning

i have had sleep paralysis before in small doses and i have also had something follow me around for years now. its not a nice entity and has done everything it can to bother or frighten me (which i have grown into ignoring when i can), but just recently started touching me and my things.
this morning i was lying in bed watching tv (wide awake mind you) and i had been waking up all through the night because i kept getting the feeling something was in my room. i dont know if it was him or something else, but i know it was a male. this morning at 7:30 i was watching tv when i heard a thud sound. i heard something climb onto the bed and saw the sheets and mattress sink down. the bed started to shake violently and my bed has always shaken on and off since i was little but never like this. i felt something large sit on top of me, pin my arms down, sit on my legs and chest. it gets really hot in my room so i had my legs on top of the sheets so i could actually feel this thing on my skin. i could feel intense heat off of its body and it felt like it was choking me because it was hard to breathe.
i could hear grunting sounds and when i tried to scream for my roommate nothing but little raspy sounds would come out. i was trying to scream as hard as i could with no success so i decided to try and knock my headboard against the wall, but when i tried to move my arms it jerked them right back down. i opened my eyes and caught a glimpse of a large black smoky shape, but was unable to get a clear image. i thought something i saw was a wing? i could me wrong though, thats just what my brain placed the image as.
i closed my eyes and screamed in my head "GET OFF OF ME NOW" a couple of times until finally it let go. i felt it climb off the bed and i could move again, but was too frightened to get up. i kept seeing a big solid black shape in my mirror out of the corner of my eye that would dart out of the way when i looked directly at it. this whole ordeal lasted about 5 minutes (even though it felt like hours) and i was covered in sweat.
i finally got the courage to get up and run downstairs and wake up my roommate (who heard absolutely nothing and is a notoriously heavy sleeper). he just put his arm around me while half asleep and dozed back off. i haven't told him what happened yet, but he doesn't believe in things like this so hell probably just laugh it off. but it was truly one of the most violent experiences i have had with an entity.
i have seen things since i was little and i have learned as much about everything i can with any information i can get my hands on, but i wanted to see if you guys had any helpful advice for me or ideas on what this thing might be. thanks!

[edit on 2-3-2008 by SeeThruTheSurface]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
look up all the threads on ATS relating to 'sleep paralysis'' and 'old hag syndrome". There have been many posts relating to what you have experienced.

res

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I've talked about this and my own experiences on a number of threads here... You can also do a search for all the other threads about this.

www.belowtopsecret.com...'

www.belowtopsecret.com...'

I myself have suffered from this a number of times and really feel that we are only just brushing the surface of what sleep is capable of and about.

I have seen and felt an entity, a very negative being that was disturbing my reality and was only willed away through me screaming at it with my whole consciousness.

Sleep paralysis is probably a physical condition, but has affected me in more ways than I thought, it has pushed me on a journey of exploration about the human soul and what we are capable of.
I do believe there are things out there that exist on a similar frequency that is barely visible and unexplored with our 'normal' perception....

Only through an exploration of our altered states and brain waves (especially our sleeping waves) can we begin to explore this truly.

For those who have never experienced sleep paralysis you won't understand how annoying it is when you say 'oh it's just a medical condition' , because the paralysis is only one slice of the proverbial cake...

some interesting links:
www.arts.uwaterloo.ca...
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.spis.org.uk...
(although the spis website seems a little patronising)
www.dreamsnightmares.com...

although you'll find sleep paralysis is a step closer to out of body experiences and also lucid dreaming.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I actually do not believe that the experience of weight on the chest whilst being held and struggling to break free IS sleep paralysis...

it is a malevolent episode but I stil do not know why and what triggers it.

When it happens to two people at the same time, I find it difficult to accept the sleep paralysis explanation.

res

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I've experienced sleep paralysis once, as a teen. It's still one of the scarier moments of my life. A part of me still believes it was a real situation where something in the room was trying to kill me.

Then I read about it and so many people have the exact same dream or situation occur. It happens to far too many people to be considered paranormal.

The medico's say that when we go into REM sleep (dreaming) our mind actually disconnects from our body to keep us from acting out the dream. Our body becomes paralyzed while we dream. With sleep paralysis our mind wakes up before it has made the reconnection to the body. Ergo, we find ourselves paralyzed.

It's pretty darn terrifying, but it's also common enough to be considered a normal part of the human experience.

Hope this helps.

new topics

top topics

join