It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life before the internet.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Do you think that all of this could have happened, that the New World Order gained so much power, that people were as uninformed as they were, because, the internet wasn't easily accessible around 10 years ago? Before we had high speed internet a lot of people were still stuck on dial up. Many people were not able to look online on their favorite websites, or, go on instant messenger or to talk to their friends on facebook 10 years ago. The internet has caused a social revolution in America and has got more people into buying computers and actually using them. The internet has made it easier to access information and people have been able to be more educated than ever before by using it. There are all these learning sites out on the internet and we are now able to do things we have never been able to do before. We can criticize the government, we can write on message boards, we can read viewpoints from other people that are in other states about issues that we would never get to see, we can do almost anything we couldn't do before with the internet.

What if the US government shuts down the net? What if a hacker attacks the net and makes it so that the net is for their own personal gain? What would happen to our infrastructure if the net got attacked?

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I remember when it was first mentioned that there would one day be a computer in every home, the idea sparked thoughts of the anti christ and end of world predictions. I can't think of a single person I knew back then that didn't say 'I'll never have one of those in my house!'. I swore I would not cave in to the 'devil' and get one either. No way. Well here we are today, and it is no longer the norm to not have a computer. It is like you must have one. Even homeless people use them (libraries and such). My 81 yr old father in law just bought one ( Oh God we have to teach him how to use it!) I still won't pay bills on it though, I did my taxes going through the irs website and wound up with a virus or worm that killed my home computer. Just got a second one though, I am self taught at using it and probably don't really have a meaningful purpose for it, other than surfing, but I have it.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The internet was widely criticized when it first came out as to what it would be used for. No doubt. Computers were said to be of the devil yes but all of us here have them. What if they take away the internet? How would we respond? What would our social change be? What if they take away computers next? Computers and the internet have made us more aware of the world outside of our home and our work place. It has caused a revolutionary way of thinking. People are now able to access any kind of information they want. If you want to look something up then you can look it up on the information superhighway. Those that don't do this are left behind. This technology won't go away that easily. As long as we still have the internet still working there will be people to defend it. The government should have a back up server so that if the internet ever goes down the government can get it back up within a day. The government should also place wi-fi all across every city and make sure that they have wireless internet connections across the country so that an attack on an internet service provider would not leave people without access to the internet.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The internet for them, is an excellent way of profiling everyone.

They will just find a way to control it all, whether the internet becomes a living entity to a degree, and the day will probably come when it thinks for itself.

Do you think people would be fearful of that?

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
A little over 20 years ago I had a 20 meg IBM phone modem computer. I was able to get online through Prodigy. I talked with a woman in Las Vegas and bought property in Nye County unseen. Our business at the time even had a program with Q & A 24 bd. We were lucky to have a computer geek friend who knew all about computers. Didn't have access to websites, but e-mails worked great. It cost us $1,500. for the computer. We were also the first business around 1988 to have a fax machine, in the area. Business sure started picking up from the Lawyers. It was amazing to send a fax to Hong Kong and get a response so fast!
I never thought of the computer, as being linked to the Anti-Christ. To me it was the future.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Okay... so I've read the first three replies to my thread and I see that not one has answered my question directly.

Perhaps to give a better idea of what I am talking about one would know that I am not asking what it felt like to get a computer but how it would be like if we didn't have the internet anymore. Think about it. NO INTERNET. Nada. None. We wouldn't be able to log on the net to talk to find out information, to talk to our friends and companies wouldn't be able their web-based counterpart of their business.

With the internet gone how would society react? Would we rebel? I suppose that since the internet still isn't used by everyone in America that only a few people would rebel since we are in the minority but like even if we didn't rebel how would the rest of the people react? It would affect everyone, but, the question not lies with how it would affect everyone, but, how badly would it affect the United States and the world?

top topics

join