It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon Mystery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   

This topic was rendered from another thread..

I often wondered how come 24 hours a day, all around the planet, no matter when or where on the earth you see the moon you see the same exact side. That doesn't make any sense to me no matter how many times it's been explained, and i have a very 3-dimensional mind.

I have been told that it is in opposite rotation with the earth. I can't believe this because it would have to be down to the exact degree of rotation! Otherwise, the spinning would gradually catch up to itself and it would display the other side of the moon.

Can anybody explain this to me? I have heard so much about it and it still doesn't click in my mind.

--Extending my opinion -->
I think the only answer is that there is no answer. The only explanation is that the only explanation can come from a licensed NASA employee, who would not be allowed to display the 100% truth, should there be need to hide it. I believe the only way of learning about space is doing it yourself, and studying ancient space text.

Seems like ever since America was founded theres been a shadow hanging over the world, blurring the truth about every and anything. It's a case of mistrust, and an extreme break in overseas social networking. Especially since the "race to the moon" which has so much skepticism around it that we are probably looked down upon around the world for the "fake moon landing" (whether fake or not).

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The reason why the same side of the Moon always faces us is because of tidal locking. That occurs when the gravity of a larger body like the Earth caused bulging in a smaller body which is the Moon. While spinning in orbit after first forming, tidal bulges were made and the spin was slowed because of resistance to the bulges moving and eventually the spin slows to match the same speed as the rotation of the Earth. Tidal locking has also happened on several other moons of other planets as well.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by blowfishdl

I would like to had to Hal9000's explanation that we don't see exactly the same side, we see around 59% of its surface because of libration.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
...I think the only answer is that there is no answer. The only explanation is that the only explanation can come from a licensed NASA employee, who would not be allowed to display the 100% truth, should there be need to hide it. I believe the only way of learning about space is doing it yourself, and studying ancient space text.

Seems like ever since America was founded theres been a shadow hanging over the world, blurring the truth about every and anything. It's a case of mistrust, and an extreme break in overseas social networking. Especially since the "race to the moon" which has so much skepticism around it that we are probably looked down upon around the world for the "fake moon landing" (whether fake or not)...

NASA had nothing to do with the discovery and explanation of the Moon being tidally locked to the Earth. The mechanics of this tidal locking were understood for at least 150 years before NASA existed -- at least as long ago as the early 1800's.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by blowfishdl

One theory of the origin of the moon that works for me I think explains its behavior. A large object impacted the Earth destroying both the object and Earth ejecting matter out. Even though this impact released a massive amount of energy it did not terminate the Earths angular momentum and all this stuff would still continue to spin.

All of this matter is in a liquid state and most of it starts to fall back in on itself reforming the Earth except for any that has an orbital velocity or greater. A large portion of whats left falls in on itself forming the Moon. The new Moon still has some angular momentum from when it was part of the Earth and so it spins with its axis being at the center of the Earth. Imagine swinging a ball around that is tied to a rope, you always see the same side.

Before the Moon cools and hardens some of the denser mass is allowed to sink to the near side due to Earth's gravity and this would help ensure that the nearside will always face us. This Lunar behavior seems to be common place amongst the moons in our solar system. I would say that this type of moon orbit is evidence of its origin from the parent planet.

[edit on 3/3/2008 by Devino]

[edit on 3/3/2008 by Devino]

top topics

join