It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming Bites The Dust?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
epw.senate.gov...

In my opinion "global warming" is a highly complex issue. To be honest I haven't really believed in it being anthropogenic for years, there are just too many factors involved for us to just make a conclusion. Furthermore, I didn't really give a damn; after all, is going green, per se, going to hurt anything? Not as far as I can see... but, I can see myself taking a side now... against the belief of anthropogenic global warming. I realized just how suppressive it is. Don't get me wrong, I hate the oil companies just as much as the next guy, and nuclear power kicks ass. Unfortunately, developing countries don't really have a shot at industrialization without fossil fuels. Us telling them they can't have it is like a 600 pound farm hog stealing food from an anorexic mouse.

Secondly, there is the mis-allocation of resources... that sure would blow if we found out we were spending those billions of $$$ on something that we had no control over. The above article really helps my position on this matter, in my opinion at least. And I'm sure the question has been posted a million times over, but after reading that article, what are your guys' thoughts on this?

[edit on 22-2-2008 by SlyCM]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Well, as article state,MAN-MADE global warming theory bites.....
We are warming up. The reasons for that are not clear,every side has a lot of money/ego involved so the truth is (for me ,at least) hard to find.
But we surely influence the planet's ecosystem (tuna selection,for example) so we might influence even climate. I think that when its too late, we will know the truth.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Just watched that "global dimming" video... what a bunch of BS.

Ah well... if it brings around humanity's destruction I'm happy either way.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Around 75000 years ago, so I read somewhere, the human race suffered a calamity of great proportions, what, we don't know. What we do know is that our gene pool is basicaly missing a lot of genes. science has found that there should be far more genes to us than there is, leading them to believe that we underwent near extinction, reducing our gene pool. Ice core data shows that earth has undergone global warming many times before. First, we warm up, the ice melts, the rivers flow faster into the sea, the conveyor belt dilutes, slows, then stops. Then the ice freezes again, but with no warm water moving from the tropics, there is nothing to stop the ice but the tropics themselves. At the same time the southern hemisphere warms, heats, then drys.The tropics remain a chaotic place of floods and mudslides, hurricanes etc
The last documented occurence, even though it was geologically short, was very close to, if not smack on the fall of the egyptian empire.Ice cores from both poles show oppisite conditions, at the exact same time period, around 40 years.So really, the beginning of all that was really a matter of one year to the next. So conditions changed,dramatically,quickly, and certainly without mercy.
I really do feel that we are entering another changing time. And this belief is made more concrete by the increasingly dangerous storms, droughts,cold waves, etc
there really is too many people on this earth, and mother nature knows what to do........the question really is.....do we?

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
As for the 75000 year ago, that coincides fairly nicely with the eruption of Toba, (try searching "Toba Catastrophe Theory"). Otherwise, I agree, climate variability is real and is happening... it'll be a shame if the gov't ends up agreeing on one of those extreme solutions to AGW, such as the "space umbrellas".... it's like trying to clear a mudpuddle by stomping around in it.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SlyCM

Awesome opening post. Though I don't agree with it 100% I can sympathize with your thoughts. I am pretty certain that anthropogenic global warming exists, but at the same time I am keenly aware that the politicians are hijacking this issue to consolidate more power (by making money off the carbon market and keeping developing countries down).

Coming from one of those developing regions, you know what's the most annoying thing? The endless criticisms that we are "destroying our forests and contributing to the damaged ecosystem" when it is basically their (western) corporations that are doing that over here. What the hell, man? You pressure us to clear our forests to plant your soy (because eating meat is contributes to global warming) and plant your oil palm (because fossil fuels aren't carbon neutral) and then turn around and say we're endangering the environment. Well f-you too.

Edit: on topic, after reading the link you provided, glad they finally figured that CO2 issue is over-hyped. There's so many other different GHGs. Most not as easy to control (take note of that word) as CO2.

[edit on 28/2/2008 by Beachcoma]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Well, as article state,MAN-MADE global warming theory bites.....
We are warming up. The reasons for that are not clear,every side has a lot of money/ego involved so the truth is (for me ,at least) hard to find.
But we surely influence the planet's ecosystem (tuna selection,for example) so we might influence even climate. I think that when its too late, we will know the truth.

Global temperatures going back 10 years are flat. There is actually a very slight downward trend in those 10 years but the amount is so small that its irrelevant. There is a decent cooling trend globally going back 7 years with a cooling trend of 0.1c over the last 5 years.

The temperature change over the last 12 months has shown a significant drop in global temperatures. In fact it is the largest 12 month temperature change (in either direction) in the last 100 years.

Northern hemisphere snow was near record levels. It was matched only by the severe winters of the late 70's. For Eurasia the record was shattered.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions. The one thing that seems very evident to me is that the planet is no longer warming. In fact if we don't see a significant change in solar activity soon the winter of 08-09 could be even worse.

top topics

join