It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics: Xpert11 musings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
PODcast:

Xpert11 musings

I discuss how a farm economy should operate and selling Proportional Representation to the American people .

length: 06:17
file: ptspod_2827.mp3
size: 5898k
feed: pts

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Nice podcast xpert. I would assume that MMP is referring to:

Mixed member proportional representation, also termed mixed-member proportional voting and commonly abbreviated to MMP, is a voting system used to elect representatives to numerous legislatures around the world. MMP is similar to other forms of proportional representation (PR) in that the overall total of party members in the elected body is intended to mirror the overall proportion of votes received; it differs by including a set of members elected by geographic constituency who are deducted from the party totals so as to maintain overall proportionality. In the United Kingdom, the different, only partly proportional form of MMP in use for several bodies is known as the additional member system (AMS), although the term additional member system can also be more broadly applied to include parallel voting, a semi-proportional system. In Germany it is called "personalized proportional representation" as distinct from the PR system used before MMP superseded it.

Is that correct?

If so, then I wonder how a system like that might have affected the infamous 2000 election in which Gore won the popular vote, but lost on the electoral college.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
You are indeed correct . Gore would have won a tight race by winning the popular vote. But beyond that nothing is certain there would have been a lot of deal making with Ralph Nader and his and other partys in Congress to either gain an endorsement or just be able to work out a legislative program.

Assuming the election involved three or four rounds of voting Ralph may have been able to force policy concessions by staying in the race assuming he made it over the chosen threshold .

There is no ease answer. Of course this assumes that both Gore and Bush would have won there party nomination under MMP. check out this thread.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Good session! Very informative. I liked your "farm report." How would you sell Proportional Representation to U.S. Libertarinas? Libertarians are staunch defenders of the Constitution, and I'm wondering how you would reconsile the language in our Constitution with Prportional Representation?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
How would you sell Proportional Representation to U.S. Libertarinas?

I would say that there is nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage . But if you do want your political views to count and to help keep the Republican party in check then you are going to have accept some form of change.

I am proud of the history of the Anzacs but I don't desire another world war or such poor leadership to occur again. It is true that change has to be a measured decision for the better. But it is also inconsistent for the likes of Ron Paul supporters to claim that he can save America and then support a system that keeps him down.

and I'm wondering how you would reconsile the language in our Constitution with Prportional Representation?

Well clearly the aspects of the Constitution that deal with the electoral college wont or may not stack up . So duo process would have to be followed should amendments be required .

A good example "guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government. " this clearly wont reconcile with MMP.

I suppose the reference to Blessings of Liberty in the preamble could be used to point out that the constitution isnt providing what it is spouse to.

Some aspects aren't effected such as pre requisites for being elected in the first place.

I did my best to answer your question . Question like this have to be asked and the unknowns explored . In realistic terms there isnt any chance of MMP being adapted at the Federal level any time soon. A more realistic and possible viable goal would be to aim to have MMP implemented at state level . In the mean time issues with the Constitution could be addressed .

Aim high but start at the bottom of the ladder .

top topics

join