It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would life really be boring if we knew all the answers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I've been thinking to myself lately, would life be boring if we knew all the answers? Some people think that we look for answers when we're unhappy with our life, or sometimes when we have a question. I would like to ask everyone, is it alright to ask questions, to wonder? Does anyone not wish to become a god and controll things? To be able to know everything? What would be wrong with that? So, to have a choice between wanting to know answers and knowledge, versus being ignorant. Which would you choose?

[edit on 20-2-2008 by malakiem]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
No input? What's everyone's view on finding answers in life? Is it normal to feel so ignorant when there's so much to learn? Do any of you ever wish that you could be in the know?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I think that,perhaps the whole purpose of life is to ponder the big questions and gather information throughout our lifetimes.

We're basically "programmed" to observe,and incorporate information into our everyday lives.

So,having said that.....Would life be boring if we knew all the answers?

Maybe not boring,seeing as how we wouldn't know to seek out answers,but it would certainly be a different life,with very different aims and goals.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Ok, I propose to you that it is impossible to know everything. Let me explain to you why it is truly impossible to know EVERYTHING. Take science. Say you learn everything about science. Workings of the universe, workings of humans, chemistry, all science. Then you learn everything history. Then you learn everything carpentry. You learn everything that exists in the universe and such.

Now I want you to sit there and picture this. What happens next? Do you know what happens next? Even with the ability to store all this information in your brain (which isn't possible btw) you still would have piece ALL the constantly changing variables together in a fraction of a second just to predict what is going to happen a couple minutes from now.

You may be able to know everything, but you still don't know what is going to happen next. In that sense, you are really never able to be a god. I can know how the entire universe works, but even with that knowledge, I couldn't tell you whats going to happen tomorrow. There is no computer that can do that. I would imagine even a quantum computer would have a hard time taking in THAT much information and all the variables that would come with it.

Now for doc's post. Perhaps there is no set purpose for life? What is driving us to survive. We are sentient beings, its not just instinct anymore. Instinct is letting that hardwire brain just go through the motions. We are more then that. We aren't just machines, lights and clockwork, just going through the motions. We aren't unique either though, so don't misunderstand what I am saying. Anything that can be self aware, that can process the though "Hey, I don't want to do that" is being driven by something greater.

I'm not saying god, or a holy spirit, or anything certain thing at all is what is driving you. What I am saying is that SOMETHING is driving you to live on. That SOMETHING may be different in every person. As unique as can be. Perhaps it is not what a person thinks that sets them apart, but what they do, and what drives them to do it.

All information is irrelevent except what to do next. What to do next can only be found from within you. You can't go looking around for the answers, you won't find them. The information you need is in you, you are born with it. Your purpose is yours alone, for your own reasons. There are no right or wrong answers, just actions and inaction. Inaction often leads to a lack of fulfillment.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Life would just begin. We would be able to apply the answers. In a videogame... if you don't read the instructions, of course, eventually you'll be able to muster enough knowledge to adequately play, but if you know what to do, and how to do it from the start.. how much more you can achieve!

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
thanks for the answers everyone, some other stuff to ponder over.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Life is all about finding asnwers. SOme are mundane as "Will he/she like me?"
Other are complex, "Why are we here, why am I here?"
Finding the answers moves us forward. Should we one day have all the answers, what's the point? There are other things, but a lot of life is finding the answers, the search for, but no always the finding. A lot of people, when they find a answer jump tot he next one. SO, yeah, i think it would be dull if we had the answers.

top topics

join