It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helium is an endangered species!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
If in fact a new space race has begun, then we should have a little access to the moons helium 3 in no time...I hope. I do agree that helium is one of the most precious resources in our time. Or maybe we could find a better solar using technology...who knows. Unless we destroy our selves, a catastrophe happens or such thing then there is no other way but to introduce new energy sources.

I think big corporations have more effective fuel sources but they want to "squeeze" the market dry and make the most money before they can introduce such products.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Back in high school in the 70's our science teachers warned us of an impending oil shortage we had 10 maybe 12 years of reserve left..

There were even lineups at the gas pumps..

Then the price jumped and has several times since.. and today they tell us there is an oil glut.. Athabasca Tar Sands in Canada has three times the reserve of Saudi Arabia. and there is oil everywhere.

It also seems that oil is not produced only from fossils and previously dry wells have miraculously refilled...
SOURCE

And where there is oil there is natural gas..

Now I hear that our main source of Helium is extracted from natural gas reserves...

So SOMETHING AIN'T RIGHT

The rest of the majority of helium usage is for cooling MRI machines and laser welding.

Helium Cryogenics and its applications in order to cool a complex high field superconducting magnets like Cern's new 'Time Portal"

The majority of our helium is used by NASA for shuttle launches.

Ah! See? Therein lies the problem... that evil NASA is doing it to us again

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Anyone remember HH Schmitt?

That geologist astronaut who found the orange soil?

He and Shoemaker made a perfectly detailed topographical chart of Copernicus ( The crater with John Lear's mining operation
)

in 1967Two years before Apollo 11

Map and other info here...
www.thelivingmoon.com...

Lunar Mining of Helium-3

There is no doubt that one of the most difficult problems that a peaceful world will face in the 21st century will be to secure an adequate, safe, clean, and economical source of energy. Existence of lunar helium-3, to be used as fuel for fusion reactors, is well documented; verified from numerous Apollo and Luna mission samples, current analyses indicate that there are at least 1 million tonnes embedded in the lunar surface. The helium-3 would be used as fuel for fusion reactors. HH Schmitt

Fusion Technology Institute
fti.neep.wisc.edu...

He also plans to reuse Saturn V's and go get it... for his own company Inter Luna Inter Mars Inc

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Now I hear that our main source of Helium is extracted from natural gas reserves...

So SOMETHING AIN'T RIGHT

Hydrogen and helium are the two most abundant elements in our universe, but next to none is in the Earth's atmosphere.

Reason?

Simple really - the velocity with which the atoms or molecules in a gas travel is dependent on temperature, pressure; and their weight.

Hydrogen and helium are the lightest of gases - H2 molecular wt 2, He atomic wt 4 (3 for He 3) - and so travel fastest.

In fact they travel so fast that at atmospheric temperatures and pressures their velocity is greater than Earth's escape velocity, so any released into the atmosphere quicky escapes into space.

The helium present in the ground on Earth is there due to radioactive decay - alpha particle emission - of naturally occurring elements, primarily uranium 238. It gets trapped in the ground by the same process natural gas is trapped - the appropriate geological strata.

Any that isn't trapped simply disappears into space.

And that is the reason that helium is associated with natural gas.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
OK, so I still need to know what kind of company to look for to invest in? Are they Helium miners, or H3 miners? Buy stock in Helium suppliers? Space exploration is still so expensive...

How do WE take advantage?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gatordone

Bigelowe Aerospace... trust me on this one

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Um-hm, and with the French discovery of self healing rubber, Bigelow is set to take off! If I had the cash I would too.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Thanx for the tip Z!

Looks like they're teaming up with Lockheed Martin. I couldn't find a ticker symbol for them. I'm gonna get in touch with them to find out what exchange handles their stock.

2PacSade-

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas

Originally posted by nyk537...I can assure you that Helium is in fact becoming increasingly difficult to get.

Then it is being used somewhere, a vast engineering project like an undersea city. There are just not that many balloons to create a shortage so quickly.

Time to put yer conspiracy antennas on fellas

Where I work we use helium in large amounts to fill weather balloons (large) and this is also done all across Canada and im sure in the U.S. as well. While we are trying to make the switch to hydrogen (which we can produce) there are still hundreds if not thousands of small weather stations still needing to use helium. Not to mention that hydrogen can be very dangerous if you're not careful.

I agree with the post someone else put up before regarding helium from space. There must be a way we can collect it from the ISS somehow.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2PacSade
I'm gonna get in touch with them to find out what exchange handles their stock.

Not sure if they are listed yet... but Robert told few people about his plans until he launched
In other words do the deed before you brag about going to do it...

What I want to know is WHO is servicing his space station? He has a program called 'Fly your stuff" WHO is putting the 'stuff' into the station?

He recently added that new lit up billboard in space... WHO installed it?

Just a few interesting 'developments" The Lockheed connection is fascinating...

I hear he has plans for a launch site near Vegas... seems he has the land...

www.thespacereview.com...

Email and Phone Number

www.bigelowaerospace.com...

[edit on 29-2-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

That's what I'm talking about! Way to go Zorgon. This is great information...

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Just throwing this out there. . .

Natural gas is mostly methane.

There are huge deposits of methane on the ocean floor.

Could this be a yet untapped source of helium still left on the planet?

2PacSade-

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

I got an answer back from Bigelow;

Thank you for your interest in Bigelow Aerospace.

We are not a public company and not offering stocks or investment opportunities at this point.

Thanks again.

2PacSade-

top topics

<< 1   >>

join