It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

\"Sick of the Bigotry and Intolerance\"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

"Sick of the Bigotry and Intolerance"

I never know where to post these opinion pieces!!!
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-2-2008 by grover]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
There are times I read posts on various threads here and it is enough to make me cry, especially when it comes to matters of religion and culture. I see so much intolerance and so much bigotry and so much willful ignorance and a refusal to truly educate oneself as opposed to mouthing favorite prejudices.

When you look at the richness and complexity of human culture. The beautiful array of races and the range of expression we humans have from the sublime to the grotesque. From the darkness of the holocaust to our most profound musings about our place in the universe... how can a soul say my way of living, of worshipping, of expressing love is the only or best way?

When you look at the vast diversity of life our little ball of blue contains from viruses right on the edge between living and not, to the majesty of a blue whale... all of it, squirming, eatting, breathing, copulating, breeding, living and dying... how can one look at this diversity and see nothing but a resourse, a profit margin or a hinderence, worse yet something to market as your own as if life itself is nothing but a commodity?

And when you look out at the universe itself, ranging from the most minute speck of matter to massive stars or galaxies... knowing that infinite distances conceal in every dark spot of sky what has been called a virtual snowstorm of galaxies... each and every one home to millions of stars and untold planets, and possibly, no probably full of life... How can a person look at such a spectacle and not feel as Rainer Marie Rilke wrote..."It is breathtaking just to be here."

How can one look at this magical, this mystical, this wonderous display of creation in all of its glory and proclaim that your and only your path to the ineffable, that which we call the divine is the only way and to consign all others who feel, live, worship or pray differently to some hell fire?

I cannot imagine such a God that would be so restricting.

If God is unknowable, and God is infinite, then the pathways to that God are also infinite, requiring only an open heart and an open mind.

Compassion, mercy, awe, love... all the finest expressions the human heart is capable of are the key.

There is no place for bigotry, or hatred, or intolerance on the path to the infinite.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I would hardly call this a rant thank you very much. rather a well considered opinion.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

I like what you had to say here, as I agree with you completely. I would like to read the article that you are basing your idea on, so could you try to post it again?

Thanks

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I never know where to post these opinion pieces!!!

you say opinion piece.

we say Rant.

Tomato / tomotto

But certainly NOT in the News Forums, for what should now, be obvious reasons.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
A well considered and well said opinion, grover. Thank you.
I went downstairs to retrieve a book I have kept all these years, as your "rant" made me think of it once again. It was given to my parents by one of my older sisters, and I have been in awe of it today as much as I was when I first saw it as a child. It is The Family of Man, 1955 Museum of Modern Art.

You see with your heart, grover. Those who commodify the world have succumbed to the love of money. Those who teach children to hate, to dwell on differences rather than similarities, are guilty of allowing evil to enter the world for another generation.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

There really is no article to post... it was required so I tried to link it to beliefnet.org.... the feelings and ideal expressed in my "rant" have been feelings and ideals that have grown and developed throughout my own life and experiences.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Where you see 'breathtaking beauty'
others see an opportunity to molest a child at the park.
Or plans a robbery.

Others hurt themselves with twisted desires and guilt, not knowing Jesus has the keys!

Most people will NEVER appreciate our blessings or give thanks to God for it.

It never seems to be enough for people to have enough. G-R-E-E-D.
Sin creeps into people's lives as they little-by-little give room for it.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
i always say "it's all ice cream" concerning religion. who cares of you like vanilla and i like chocolate. who am i to tell you that vanilla is a disgusting flavor and that you need to eat chocolate ice cream? what's the point? doesn't it all taste good and have the same end result, regardless of flavor?

i don't care how you worship god, or even what your concept of god is. just don't tell me my ice cream sucks and i'll be kind enough to do the same.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
You didn't read what I wrote did you?

top topics

join