It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metallic object on Mars...not the rover :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
(My bad, already covered and explained here)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I was looking at a post in one of the other forums about a figure on mars and while I was looking I noticed a large metallic looking object in the distance. It's clearly not the rover because the rover is taking the picture. It looks like it could possibly be discarded heat shield something but the scale of the object seems to make it considerably larger than the discarded heatshield.

Does anybody who knows a bit about the mars rover missions what this could possibly be?

Heres a link to the original nasa.jpl image, the object is in the last 1/4 of the image just below the horizon.

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 18-2-2008 by bramski]

(removed dead space)

[edit on 18-2-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Ahhh, that's where I left my alien UFO evidence. I was wondering where it was...

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on this site. Good hunting.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
i'm not seeing the image you have cropped as the sample image. did you post the correct link?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Could it be the pad the Rover was sitting on before they started moving across the land? Maybe the balloons deflated.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Im pretty sure I've posted the image correctly, it's a 640x480 image, typical mars landscape with a shiny object in the middle. The link to the original image is a direct link, I couldn't hot link to the image because it's massive.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
That link is a huge image. But well worth it. And unless the lander is in the top rim or this crater as the image shows I dont think thats it. This is the best image ive seem Res wise from the Mars Nasa stuff.
The detail is amazing and shows a few other anomalies it the distant as well. One is near center top and shows a very bright area and the other to the very left and mid top shows and odd shallow rock or ??? formation in the distance.
This is a keeper pic as the detail is Excellent.

[edit on 18-2-2008 by VType]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VType

As was already said in the previous thread, this is a picture of Spirit's heat shield on the rim of Bonneville Crater.

Here is a NASA web page that describes this image in detail, and links to download a very Hi-Res 26 MB file of the image:
Heat Shield in Bonneville Crater

If you're looking for Hi-res Mars pictures, go to this page:
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

There you can get ALL of the photos taken by the rovers:

- "Press Release" Link: Panoramas and other photos in various resolutions.

- "Panoramas" Link: Panoramas built from a mosaic of raw images, in various resolutions.

- "All Raw Images" Link: ALL of the raw photos the NASA rovers have taken (under the "All Raw Images" link). However the raw images are just that -- raw. These are the black-and-white photos as they come from the rovers, before they are colorized or before they are assembled into the mosaics that we are accustomed to seeing.

There is also a 3D link that gives you a chance to view some photos in 3D, if you have those Blue/red glasses.

enjoy the photos.

Originally posted by VType
The detail is amazing and shows a few other anomalies it the distant as well. One is near center top and shows a very bright area...

Spirit landed only a few hundred meters from Bonneville Crater. That Photo in the OP is a 360-degree Panorama, so it is very likely that the lander portion of the vehicle would be visible in this photo. It is possible that this "other" bright spot off in the distance is that lander.

[edit on 2/18/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

top topics

join