It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ZIF? What's a ZIF? And What Does It Have To Do with CO2?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I was looking through some MSM stuff for poltical reaction to USA193 (it's Friday afternoon but I thought I'd try) and I ran across this tech piece on some bright folks at UCLA. It sounds really promising. The CBC News piece from Friday 080215 "New materials can selectively capture CO2, scientists say". Zeolitic imidazolate frameworks (say that 3 times really fast) are an amazing bit of chemical engineering. Crystals you see?

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 15-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

Vic,

These are amazing!

Scientists have created metal-organic crystals capable of soaking up carbon dioxide gas like a sponge, which could be used to keep industrial emissions of the gas out of the atmosphere...

As concern over climate change grows and its link to human-made carbon dioxide emissions becomes clearer, governments and businesses around the world are investigating carbon-capturing technologies.

I read an article recently Why Big Oil Discovered Its Love of Trees and noted that B.C. just introduced a carbon tax. Is this money to go into research under the task force and other like entities cited in your article? Have they said how these carbon tax dollars will be designated. This is an amazing break through! Thanks for sharing.

DWW

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
We will find a solution with ideas like this. Great positive news! This is exciting.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Not to be a wet blanket but isn't there still debate about whether CO2 causes global warming?

Some suggest CO2 is a side-effect of temperature rise and not a cause, as it lags behind climate change.

I know that mainstream media has stomped this idea into the ground so that we can all continue to obsess about our carbon emissions etc.

The truth is a rich CO2 environment makes plants go into steroids mode. We need that. CO2 + Plants = better air for us all to breathe.

I wish this were the mainstream view but it's not :\ Instead of actually cleaning the planet, stopping pollution etc. we are definitely being sold on the CO2 business (it's an actual business now that it's mainstream.)

new topics

top topics

join