It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser light creates black holes in the lab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

www.eurekalert.org...

IMAGINE being able to peek inside a black hole and even perform experiments there. It may not be as far-fetched as it sounds, thanks to a team which claims to have simulated a black hole’s event horizon in the lab.

Interesting to say the least. Wondering what kind of discussion from the ATS inteligencia might ensue from this.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ViewFromTheStars

Okay... Most people... including myself would consider me to be a fairly intelligent person! I read that article, probably five times and all i can say is................ WHAT???

I don't get it, please help! Fast light catches slow light and can't pass through it... I get that, how is that a black hole and how does that teach us anything?

Am I just a Dee dee dee... or what?

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sparda4355

I'm not sure if I am understanding it correctly but what I took from it was that they are not creating a black hole but they are able to mimic the event horizon of a black hole. They are then using the "event horizon" they create to study how a actual black holes event horizon would affect particles and waves.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It sounds more like a glitch in the system they were trying to use. Unless there's a video, it sounds more like a typical technical problem. Here's a site that refers to problems with laser optics and may be why some are now being cut due to their being outdated.

www.fiber-optics.info...

It might be more intersting if the reverse were true and that we could light travel by simply matching some carrying frequency similar to a black hole might do. How did Dr. Who do it?

top topics

join