It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians Don't Sin

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Of course Christians sin. "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God". We will continue to sin because we are human. The only difference is we admit that sin exists and that we are sinners. Lots of folks can't even do that and I see zillions of excuses for it. The very thought of it seems to breed contempt as noone wants to see themselves as imperfect or "doing something wrong".

Note the Bible says we should "try" to be perfect as our Father is perfect. It doesn't say we MUST be perfect and, in fact, tells us that is impossible. As we ask for forgiveness and are forgiven, our sins are just "covered", so that our Father, who is perfect, can look upon us again.

All Christians still sin and we always will. We must simply try to do better and ask for forgiveness for our inherited natures. Non-christians do not seem to understand the true nature of sin. The word itself seems to be a simply a bad word to many.

I don't believe the Bible contains contradictions. There are seemingly contradictions in some places, thus as you described. We must take the time and place of the sentences produced into consideration, along with english translations which often cannot produce the exact meanings of the Hebrew language. It is these seeming contradictions that are easily twisted into different thoughts; hence we see the differences in denominations. Non-Christians as well like to use these seeming contradictions to refute the truth of the Bible.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon365
Great post JD!

I honestly try to pray to ask Christ to forgive me of my sins, both those that I recognize and those I may unknowingly commit.

Think of the Lords prayer Jesus taught us... "forgive us of our sins as we forgive others who sin against us". These were guidelines for prayer, not to be chanted in repetition like robots, but what is implied here? He knows we are going to sin! But we need to do our best to be on gaurd of our thoughts and actions.

If we could truly be perfect and without sin, we wouldn't need a Savior!

[edit on 12-2-2008 by defcon365]

Thanks for your post Defcon, you bring out some great truths! If you notice, I emphasized your statement above: " He knows we are going to sin!" This is true, and the reason I want to bring your statement out is because it reminds me of Peter's situation and his denial of Jesus.

If we look at Matthew 10:33, we see Jesus saying this:
"But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven." As the disciples heard this, including Peter, you know they took note of this stern warning of Jesus.

If we look at Luke 26:34, we now see Jesus confronting Peter regarding the very warning previously laid out:
Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Peter's response, as well as the other disciples was:
Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples. (v35)

Of course we know what happened, what Jesus said Peter would do, he indeed did. Breaking a commandment ONCE is bad enough, but can you imagine how Peter felt, doing it three times back to back? Talk about guilt and condemnation. Just the weight of that alone crushed him spiritually. How many times have we sinned, not once, but three times, multiple times in regard to one certain area of our life? How do we suppose Jesus feels about this? We can get an idea by looking at what Jesus said to Peter when Jesus told Peter that he would deny Him three times:

But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not:...

Jesus laid the commandment down plain and simple. He knew Peter would break that commandment three times, but, what Jesus was more concerned about was not the breaking of the commandment, but how that would effect Peter's faith. Likewise that is how He feels toward us and that is why we have these scriptures:
Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession(Pray) for them. (Hebrews7:25)
Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession(Prays) for us. (Romans 8:34)

Closing thought, When Jesus was resurrected, one of the first things on His mind was this: But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you.

It seems that Jesus knew that Peter was agonizing over what he had done in denying Him three times and that Peter probably felt he had indeed failed Christ and was indeed rejected both by God and Jesus. On the contrary, what was important to Jesus was that Peter knew He had risen and ALL WAS WELL with him and Christ!

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by idle_rocker

Thanks for yout input Idle_Rocker! Only once have I come across a Christian, who truly believed they were 'sinless." That caught me off guard and I had to inquire as to what made them think along these lines. It seems that there are some who think that once we place our faith in Christ, the new man formed within us is sinless, and what one does in the flesh (sinning) has no bearing on the perfect, sinless man within us. They are two separate identities. In other words, I can go out, get drunk on whiskey, cuss, smoke, have sex with everyone I want and that has no bearing on the sinless man within me. He is and always will be sinless.

If ever there was a doctrine that would make one ecstatic and go that would have to be the one!

[edit on 13-2-2008 by jdposey]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by idle_rocker
I don't believe the Bible contains contradictions.

Keyword being believe.

See now I don't believe I'm a fatass, but when I look in the mirror my belief becomes hard to hold on to.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'm sorry you "believe" that what you see in your mirror has anything to do with what I believe in my heart.

Now what was the point? Oh yeah, the price of tea in china.

I'll apologize now for the above poster for the slight hijack of this thread.

[edit on 2/13/2008 by idle_rocker]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentGem

Originally posted by idle_rocker
I don't believe the Bible contains contradictions.

Keyword being believe.

See now I don't believe I'm a fatass, but when I look in the mirror my belief becomes hard to hold on to.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

Well, if you are looking at the surface of something, like yourself in the mirror and seeing your reflection, that is one thing, but stare at it long enough and you are bound to see beyond the image reflected and deeper into what has caused the image to become so distorted.

A gentlemen once commented, "As I sat reading my bible, I soon discovered, it was reading me."

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Only religious people can sin. If you believe in sin.

Only a conscious man can be without sin. If you believe in consciousness.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Could you please clarify what you posted.

The Lord only gave me ceratin brain circuits and I must be missing the circuit that is required to translate your statement.

Thanks!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join