It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Urge Broadening Search for Extraterrestrial Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Interesting article here from a SETI conference taking place.

Small comments section on digg discussing the article, (but they're not as well versed as us on the subject;-)

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Listen to c2c of the 7th feb 2008(last night), bill clinto said something on there very interesting, if he was telling the truth.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Listen to c2c of the 7th feb 2008(last night), bill clinto said something on there very interesting, if he was telling the truth.

uhhhhhh... what did he say?

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by senshido

It's nice to hear scientists who support SETI begin to talk about other options than just listening for radiowaves. In my mind, Fermi's Paradox remains relevant and unanswered. Where are the aliens?

Given the information we have, I would say signs point to that they are much closer than we think. I just find it hard to believe that so many advanced aliens exist and are just slogging around thru space. Einstein always said "make everything as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

I personally think there is something very fundamental (about reality) that we are missing (like perhaps space is an illusion just like time). One of the problems is that scientists are as unorganized and ego driven as the rest of us... they are human afterall. It's very likely that science itself is incomplete in the capacity needed to study something as profound as the ufo phenomenon.

When I play a videogame, I can't help but wonder if that could be me in there. Exploring a vast world (in my mind), completely oblivious to the fact that I actually exist on a 40" screen and there are other three-dimensional "aliens" standing mere feet away from me. Yes I realize videogames are a super crude example of a virtual universe. I just feel there is something fundamental that we aren't getting. And looking light years away in hopes of finding another nuts and bolts / carbon life forms isn't the answer.

No matter what the deal is, there's not much any of us can do about it. I would say that The Sound of Silence conference and ATS are great starts. Who knows, in 300 years people may look back at us and be like "wow those people didn't have a freaking clue! Yet history documents the earlier days of the information age and how a website called Abovetopsecret began to spread new ideas and generate alot of discussion." You never know...

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The Earth will unveil this when consciousness is ready for it.

At its General Level or ability to comprehend.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Heck all they have to do is release all the data (that I believe is in black project ) on "Fastwalkers"., info that NORAD has and picks up and passes on to the "working group" which catalogs the information we'll never see maybe.

google 1984 fast walker and read a leaked report or just go here www.nicap.org...

and read that.

source for above and credit goes to www.nicap.org

I just can't believe even seti doesn't have tons of alien messages and things that are monitored by "the elite" know it alls of the powers that be.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I read that article and while it did say that all intelligent species might be doomed to extinction, it did not, as far as I could tell, consider that while there may be now, may have been and or will be intelligent species in the universe, we just might not exist contemporaneously.

It could be that life is out there in abundance, but none has ever developed the necessary intelligence to do more than eat, procreate and die.

It could also be that there is all kinds of intelligent life out there who are probing space in all kinds of ways, but we are all so widely dispersed that we wouldn't find each other ever. I think maybe they did mention that one.

Regardless, despite the fact that I support space exploration, this preoccupation with and the money expended on the effort of finding extraterrestrial life seems pointless.

We don't have what it takes to get to where they are now, so we're left with waiting for them to show up, if they haven't already.

Besides that, what are we going to do with the knowledge that somewhere out there's someone is sending out radio signals to be intercepted by God knows whom?

Why are we so sure that we want extraterrestrial beings to know where we live?

We can't trust each other. How do we know we can trust ET?

I'm not convinced that SETI serves any practical purpose at all.

[edit on 2008/2/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
reply to post by senshido

When I play a videogame, I can't help but wonder if that could be me in there. Exploring a vast world (in my mind), completely oblivious to the fact that I actually exist on a 40" screen and there are other three-dimensional "aliens" standing mere feet away from me. Yes I realize videogames are a super crude example of a virtual universe. I just feel there is something fundamental that we aren't getting. And looking light years away in hopes of finding another nuts and bolts / carbon life forms isn't the answer.

You might enjoy this if you play video games:
Video game gone bad

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Loved your post Scramjet.

I too get a sense, a feeling that we're missing something fundamental about the nature of reality. If I think hard enough about the nature of time and space they don't really make sense. They appear to be a side-effect of our consciousness' limited interaction with 3D space

HOw can something exist one instant and not the next... the concept of past, present and future. If today is tomorrow's past, and it exists because I'm experiencing it, then it exists in the future too, and the only thing that's changed is our conscious perception of it.

Does that make any sense? ... My head starts to throb when I start thinking about stuff like this... lol

Are we perhaps part of a much greater reality, and our very young state of evolution limits our ability to perceive the universe as it really is?

What I'm getting at, and to bring it back on topic, I suspect that to make contact with other beings we may have to look elsewhere other than perceived space... I say 'may' because there is always the probability that our view of reality and the universe might be correct... and Drake's equation rules!

We live in interesting times

top topics

join