It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney suspends White House bid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Romney suspends White House bid

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney has suspended his campaign for the Republican party nomination for the US presidency.

"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and frankly I'd be making it easier for Senator Clinton or [Barack] Obama to win," Mr Romney said at the conference.

[edit on 7-2-2008 by tyranny22]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This effectively opens the gap further for non-front runners such as Huckabee and Paul.

Recently a deal was struck by Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul in an attempt to thwart a dominate McCain campaign from securing the nomination on Super Tuesday. In effect, this would keep McCain from gaining the majority of the delegates.

This is of major concern to others bidding for the White House. If Romney's delegates pass their votes along to McCain, this would secure his Republican nomination.

[edit on 7-2-2008 by tyranny22]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

Originally posted by tyranny22

Recently a deal was struck by Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul in an attempt to thwart a dominate McCain campaign from securing the nomination on Super Tuesday. In effect, this would keep McCain from gaining the majority of the delegates.

??? Please elaborate on this "deal". Neither Huckabee nor Paul can beat McCain, singularly or together. Any "deal" would need Romney in order to have a chance to succeed.

There was a deal struck between McCain and Huckabee in West Virginia which succeeded, though. See this post.

www.abovepolitics.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Huck and Paul supporters reached a deal in the same WV caucus. Huck's folks traded 3 of their delegates in exchange for Paul's folks support.

www.ronpaul2008.com...

In an agreement first reported by West Virginia television station WSAZ, three Ron Paul delegates were secured through an agreement with the Mike Huckabee campaign at the West Virginia state convention early Tuesday. Ron Paul delegates to the state convention swung their sizable support to Huckabee – putting Huckabee over the top – in exchange for the delegates.

The Romney camp courted the Paul supporters too, but they felt that the Romneyites couldn't be trusted.

www.huntingtonnews.net...

β€œThe Romney supporters in WV had not been treating our Ron Paul supporters in WV well. We did not feel we could trust [the late offer from those] who did not care to invest anything in a relationship of trust. West Virginians that support Huckabee took the time to develop a relationship of trust, they treated us fairly, they treated us as equals, and they recognized we were genuine Republicans and a force to be reckoned with,” Burgess said.

It's an interesting read...gives some insight into the backroom goings-on of the candidate's camps. If the vote had gone the other way, Huck was to receive 3 deleagates in exchange for supporting Paul. I think a lot more of this goes on than people realize. Tit for tat so to speak.

[edit on 2/8/2008 by ElectRon41]

top topics

join