It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney bows down, only 3 left

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

So, Romney quits after huge spends. Only Mccain, Huckabee and Paul Remain. This changes things drastically with Mccain having a significant lead over the latter 2.

I am somewhat shocked to be honest, didn`t expect him to drop out so early. Now with talks that Paul will be running as an independant, can we safely say that the odds of Mccain winning the nomination is almost certain?

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I was taken aback as well by Romney suspending his campaign. His explanations, at least to me, are something left to be desired. His speech today seemed to lean in the direction of giving McCain his support.

How will this all play out? Well as much as I would like to see Paul win, I believe that the decision to pull out does give McCain the advantage.

Vegno, if McCain does secure the nomination, do you believe this will hurt or help the republican chances of winning the White House?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Well, One thing is for sure: it will not help the repulicans at all. Think about, you have a so-called "republican" who is pro-open open borders, doesn't defend the 2nd amendment, supports a 100year stay in Iraq (totally against the public opinion) and has "straight-talk" that's anything but straight.

You have people swearing NOT to vote for Mccain if he was nominated, which logically means they will either not vote or vote for the Democratic nominee, most probably Clinton.

Now add to all this, the fact that Mccain publicly stated that he is quite friendly with the Clintons (I can't find the news report) and it's a sure bet Hilary wins this. And that is not good. Not good at all.

I hate to say it, but I am starting to think Ron Paul should run as an independent before it's too late.

[Edited to add: Spacedoubt or any other mods, there are currently 3 posts concerning Romney including mine. Consider merging them or keeping 1, to keep threads focused.
]

[edit on 7-2-2008 by vegno]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think this is the best scenario for Ron Paul to run and be a somewhat viable candidate in the General Elections. If McCain and Clinton do end up as their party nominee's, then you've essentially got a standard Democrat and a pretty liberal republican.

Where does that leave conservative voters? McCain may be the only one for the war, but he'll only shore up conservative voters who care most about the war. There are a lot of other issues out there and McCain is on the opposite side of many conservatives on those issues. RP is not!

new topics

top topics

join