It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some New York City shops begin accepting euros as payment

page: 1

join
share:
sty

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Some New York City shops begin accepting euros as payment

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) - In the latest example that the U.S. dollar just ain't what it used to be, some shops in New York City have begun accepting euros and other foreign currency as payment for merchandise.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We had decided that money is money and we'll take it and just do the exchange whenever we can with our bank," Robert Chu, owner of East Village Wines, told Reuters television.

(visit the link for the full news article)

sty

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
This is a first step. The next one will be to accept ONLY Euro .. i do not mind so much as I will move to the Euro-sone within the next 2 years... BUT

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Far from the first step.

Here's a related ATS thread

U. S. Dollars No Longer Accepted at Indian Tourist Sites

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
The shop keeper can take any form of payment he wishes, no animosity there. I however do think this might be leading in a different direction. The links below will explain.

thred one

thread two

thread three

edit to fix link

[edit on 7-2-2008 by RedGolem]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by sty

The rumor is they started using it 'cause they ran out of toilet paper and found it cheaper just to use dollars!!!! Good thing we're
gettin' our "relief" checks I got diarreah while reading about the Amero. Every time I say the word I throw up.

Maybe we should fix our system before we change currency to give the appearance it's fixed. I'm gonna pass out!

sty

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

In my country (Eastern Europe) I am not aware of any shop working with Euro. Even if we just joined th European Union this is not happening. Even if the price is displayed in Euro - this would be just a reference, you would still need to convert it to the local currency. This is actually increasing the demand for the national currency of my country . So i can say it is a bad sign even if it makes sense .

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Why will they, after getting euros, go to their bank and exchange them for dollars? Isn't this going back a step? Or will they get more dollars doing an exchange? I think I would just save the euros and buy things online with them

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I find it strange and some what ignorant of the world in general that they have only just started excepting foreign currency.

Go to any major city in Asia or Europe and most stores will have no problems with dollars, euros or sterling.

MonKey

sty

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
maybe it is because the FED is a private corporation with private share-holders that grabbed the power to print/create $$$$ as they wish? As far as I know (i could be wrong, but i guess I am not ) the Euro is created by the European Central Bank - a non-private institution . here is the Wikipedia about ECB:

en.wikipedia.org...

and some nice videos I found about money :

[edit on 7-2-2008 by sty]

[edit on 7-2-2008 by sty]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Well I guess this was bound to happen with the way they use the mint as their own personal ATM machine.It does make me sad ....I thought I would not see this in my lifetime, but to be honest they have been accepting US dollars in Europe for years so I guess it is only fair in that aspect. I guess we have to accept the fact the US dollar will no longer be the dominant currency around the world.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I posted this yesterday...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It just shows how bad the dollar has gone down the tubes IMO.

sty

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

O , i did not see it as it come on Yahoo news today.. all the respect to Reuters !
Mods should close this one then

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sty

Yeah-Reuters is quick. haha. Seems like every other site is posting it today!

sty

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

maybe the people behind Reuters are interested in promoting a bad image on the $ I do not wish to mention the nationality of the Reuters owners , but i guess a lot of you already guess it..

top topics

join