It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry + McCain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
From Paul Johnson @ ElectRomneyin2008.com

More on McCain’s Would-be Party Switch

A commenter to an earlier post had this to say about the reports McCain had tried to join with the Democrats officially in 2004. Perhaps he thought he could get more done “from the inside” of the Republican party. Or perhaps Kerry didn’t want him.

Is this not making everyone crazy? I mean even if liberal Republicans knew what he was up to they’d flip out! That’s why they’re still Republicans!!! Why is this not being talked about? Also, Mitt should really talk about the founding fathers wanting decent, respected men coming from their communities and contributing what they could, then returning to their livelihoods and families. They never intended for men to be career politicians! It, as they said, leads to unholy alliances!

Please pass the following around…

Take a listen to and a look at the interchange…
Go to mydd.com... to hear John Kerry giving this interview.

John Kerry: “McCain Approached Me About Joining Dem Ticket in 2004”

“Talked to Tom Daschle about jumping the isle and becoming a Democrat”

Jonathan Singer: “On Monday afternoon I had the chance to speak with Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, the Democratic Party’s nominee for President in 2004. During the interview, which covers a range of topics and which I will be posting later this afternoon, an item of particular interest jumped out at me: According to Sen. Kerry, it was John McCain’s staff who approached his campaign about potentially filling the Vice President slot on the Democratic ticket in 2004.”

Jonathan Singer: “There’s a story in The Hill, I think on Tuesday, by Bob Cusack on the front page of the paper talking about how John McCain’s people — John Weaver — had approached Tom Daschle and a New York Congressman, I don’t remember his name, about switching parties. And I was wondering if you could talk a little bit about what your discussions were with him in 2004, how far it went, who approached whom… if there was any “there” there.”

John Kerry: “I don’t know all the details of it. I know that Tom, from a conversation with him, was in conversation with a number of Republicans back then. It doesn’t surprise me completely because his people similarly approached me to engage in a discussion about his potentially being on the ticket as Vice President.”

Singer: “Okay. And just to confirm, you said it, but this is something they approached you rather than…”

Kerry: “Absolutely correct. John Weaver of his shop…” [JK answers phone]

For many Republicans, it has been bad enough that John McCain has voted and worked with Democrats against the majority of Republican Senators on a number of occasions in recent years. For Republicans, I would imagine that reports that he approached the Democrats about leaving the Senate GOP caucus in 2001 represent a borderline unpardonable offense. But it seems that reaching out to the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee to talk about running on that party’s ticket would be tantamount to the highest form of political treason to Republicans.

This story could hardly come at a worse time for McCain.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveAndrew

[John McCain] “talked to Tom Daschle about jumping the isle and becoming a Democrat.” Jonathan Singer: “There’s a story in The Hill, I think . . John McCain has voted and worked with Democrats against the majority of Republican Senators on a number of occasions in recent years. For Republicans, I would imagine that reports that he approached the Democrats about leaving the Senate GOP caucus in 2001 represent a borderline unpardonable offense. This story could hardly come at a worse time for McCain.

The unforgivable sin. Mark 3:22 states, “I [Jesus] say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation . . “ NKJV. Was it not Ronald Reagan speaking to fellow GOPs who said, “Speak no evil of fellow Republicans?”

Early in 2001, after the GOP had organized the Senate, Senator Jim Jeffords, a Republican from Vermont, left his party and became an Independent. He then indicated he would vote with the Dems to organize the Senate. This changed the 50-50 division - VP Cheney voting with the GOP to give them a majority - to 51-49 and the Dems then took over the Senate until the next election (2002) where they lost it again to the GOP. I am not surprised to hear that other GOP senators talked about changing sides, especially McCain who had been treated so dirtily in SC by Bush43.

In the 2006 election, the Dems regained a precarious hold on the US Senate, 51-49. This includes Sen Sanders of VT replacing Sen. Jeffords, also listed a Independent but voting with the Dems to organize, and Sen. Lieberman of CT, likewise an Independent. Dem Senator Johnson of SD cannot attend the Senate due to a stroke last year. The Dems actually hold a 50-49 edge in the Senate. The Senate traditionally allows unlimited debate. To shut off debate, called cloture, requires 60 votes. This in effect allows 41 senators to block any action by the Senate.

new topics

join